How can I organize my walk-in closet?

+3
  • Betsy Betsy on Oct 24, 2019

Hi Celia: Do you have a picture you could share? One thing you could do is to put in multi-level hanger rods and shelves. Then, organize your clothing by season, type (short sleeves, long sleeves, pants, etc. And, also by colour:) Matching hangers are also nice. You can put the out of season clothing is boxes or containers on the shelves. You can put shelves on the floor to hold your shoes, and you can also make these floor shelves 2 levels high. They are really easy to make. It's nice if your boxes or containers match by colour and size, so that you don't have that messy 'odd container' look.

Good luck

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Oct 25, 2019
    Betsy, at first I thought I was reading my own answer. The only thing I do differently from you is, I like plastic tubular hangers. I put all my upper clothing like dresses, blouses, knitwear, coats and jackets on white hangers. I put all my lower wear like pants, skirts, shorts, and inbetweens, on colored hangers, black on black, blue on blue, etc. to the best of my ability. I definitely have some OCD, so a pair of pink shorts on a green hanger really bothers me, but having the right color hanger sure helps in the morning darkness to tell blue from black or green. I hope this helps, Celia! Jewell

• G.B. Woot G.B. Woot on Oct 25, 2019

We recently moved and even though the closet looked as big, it did not have the same amount of shelves versus rods and different heights of rods. It was a mess! I listened to youtube and read about closet design and decided to make changes one at a time addressing the biggest issues first. #1 there should be a rod for long garments. Organize your long garments with similar lengths. #2. put your pants on an upper rod versus the bottom rod. This allows you to put small items on the shelf below the pants that you use every day. #3 Put your shirts and shorter jackets on the lower rod. NOW...look at where the extra room is or is needed. Shoes? ... I have two shoe cubby boxes on the top shelf that I have to use a ladder to get to. I needed more long space, so I use the multiple hangers (4 skirts on one) to free up some space. I also needed pant space, so I did the same thing with my capris. I had a rod that was awkward and did not give me much, so I removed it and put up a shelving unit for boots, drawers, etc. This was a major help and I did not need much after that. I put seasonal items (i.e. swimsuits, shorts, sweaters) in fabric 12" foldable boxes - I need to tie a label on them. And finally, for every new item I buy, I donate 5 items!