How to add extra storage to a closet?

+2
  • June June on Jun 22, 2018
    Double up on your hanging rods, I have a back road that goes all the way across The closet that is for hanging long items like dresses etc., then I put a lower rod all the way across in front of them that is strictly for hanging blouses at pants that are hung over a hanger or Sweaters etc.
    it creates all kinds of space And left me more room to put some shelves up to store things like sheets and pillowcases or shoes depending on what you need, but the high -low rod thing has actually given me the most space because I have a lot of clothes LOL , ok to many clothes but I hope this helps you.

• Kate Hollingsworth Kate Hollingsworth on Jun 22, 2018
    You could also try adding a chest of drawers at the bottom - I find I can fit more clothes by folding them KonMari style than would fit on hangers. xx

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 22, 2018
    I think the 2nd rod is the best solution as it doubles your hanging space. I usually move the top rod up a bit along with the shelf, and then I hang a top from the top rod, use a pair of pants/skirt to determine how high up to put the second rod so your stuff isn't dragging on the floor. Mark the side. Then I add 2 pieces of 1x3 wood from the inside front of the closet to the back of the closet on the sides using your mark as the center of the board. screw into the studs. Then add a rod bracket and a piece of closet rod from the lumber store.
    If you have lots of room height wise, you can also add an extra shelf above the second rod, just make sure its high enough to allow you to get the hanger below onto the rod without hitting the shelf. I use it to store shoes.
    Then if there is enough space on the top shelf, I use plastic crates to store out of season clothes.

• Mindshift Mindshift on Jun 23, 2018
    Ask yourself: do you really need extra storage, or do you need to declutter? After I retired I had tons of clothes I no longer wore. It took me a while, but I realized I had no need for a third of the items. I also had a lot of project junk in my closet. Fabric scraps, beads, embroidery thread. I got rid of much of that too, and what I kept fits in a plastic storage container that's easier to get to. If you haven't used it in a year, give it away.