Asked on Dec 08, 2015

I hate my mirrored sliding closet doors and I need ideas

+40
My husband and I each have a closet and they are mirrored. I hate them. (1970s) What can I do with them?
  • Carole Carole on Dec 08, 2015
    What about that film on a roll that they use to make glass windows opaque? You know so you cannot see through them. It would stop the mirror reflection and you would not be able to see yourselves in it. They have lots of nice patterns these days and it is very easy apply. Just some baby shampoo mixed with water in a spray bottle and a sponge to smooth the film onto the mirror. A good blade is useful to trim the edges up once applied. Hardware chain stores should stock it.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 08, 2015
    This may or may not help you but looking into. www.how.com/how_7677205_update-irrored-closet-doors.html

• Judy Riley Judy Riley on Dec 09, 2015
    you could just paint them out the same colour as the walls and they will basically be camoflauged so they don't show as doors

• Barb Barb on Dec 09, 2015
    i find sliding closet doors a pain and would check into replacing them with bi-fold doors in wood. Another idea is etching a design on the glass it may disguise or actually make the mirrors a focal point. Good luck!

• Bette Bette on Dec 09, 2015
    Try barn doors on tracks

• Greg Paige Roussel Greg Paige Roussel on Dec 09, 2015
    I have 2 thoughts. I seen people literally glue a faux french door look to the mirrors with a flat thin lattice type wood. May want to check they would still slide. If you are an HGTV fan check out Candice Olsen. She has on many shows used a vinyl graphic in many cool designs on mirrors. They were a etched /frosted glass color so very subtle but they always looked awesome. Good Luck

• Cyndi Moore Tippett Cyndi Moore Tippett on Dec 09, 2015
    IF they work good in the track. You could use etching cream or glass stain to put a pattern on it.

• LuckieDuckie LuckieDuckie on Dec 09, 2015
    I agree with the other posters- covering them would be your safest bet. The decals would be the easiest, whether you go for an etched glass style or of you go with something opaque that completely covers the surface. The question is, to what extent do you despise the doors, and is it merely the mirror finish or the fact that they are sliding doors? Also, is this for a home that you own or are you renting? There are some good renter-friendly options too!

• Patti Nicholas Patti Nicholas on Dec 09, 2015
    A fairly inexpensive update/solution for mirrored closet doors that only takes an ability to read directions (a challenge to some), a minor amount of coordination, and no real artistic talent is to use the decorative window film. It can be found at most home improvement stores and isn't difficult to use as long as you follow the directions. It comes in many patterns like flowers, stained glass, etc and would make your mirrored doors look more like a French door with just a hint of mirror reflecting the light. You could also leave a portion uncovered, but "framed" with the film so you still had a full length mirror but not the '70s mirrored sliding closet doors.

• Hope Williams Hope Williams on Dec 09, 2015
    This is the door my hubby made for me in one afternoon! I'm loving it! The designs are endless!

• Pam Walker Pam Walker on Dec 09, 2015
    Unscrew the hinges of the doors & reverse them. That way, the mirrors will be on the inside of the doors instead & you won't see them anymore. If they're standard doors, they should be easy to switch & screw new hinge holes. :)

• Bernadette Tetle Bernadette Tetle on Dec 09, 2015
    I had a frameless glass shower installed a few years ago. While it's very lovely, I wanted to add something decorative. I considered etching but was to fearful to mess it up. I opted to go with privacy film, I purchased mine from Amazon but I now see it in big box home improvement stores. It looks great and if I decide to change it, it's easy to do. You could do the same thing with your mirrors. It's a low cost idea if you don't want to replace them. Good luck to you.

• Ellen Ellen on Dec 09, 2015
    I say paint them! Including all the trim. There is a paint for everything

• Ellen Ellen on Dec 09, 2015
    Paint them including all the trim. There is a paint solution for everything

• Pam Bolton Pam Bolton on Dec 09, 2015
    There is a copy pay called Overlays that makes very thin, patterned overlays for Ikea furniture. Contact them about an overlay for your closet doors. Or an alternative, use a stencil and paint a pattern over your mirrors in a color that coordinates with your room.

• Alton Alton on Dec 09, 2015
    I can't remember for sure but I think the frames will come apart and then replace glass with plywood of some kind or replace with new sliding wood doors , easy to do !

• Alice Shockley Alice Shockley on Dec 09, 2015
    You could use stencils and paint a pattern over them, so that the mirror shows through. http://www.my3monsters.com/2011/01/frosted-mirror-closet-doors.html

• Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Dec 09, 2015
    Stenciling with etching medium will create a personalized look. You can get the etching medium at your local craft store. Be creative and enjoy your new doors! Best of luck.

• Carol Perkins Carol Perkins on Dec 09, 2015
    Pick out a fabric that you like in the room and using spray glue, glue it over the mirrors. I don't know what the room looks like, but you could use the same fabric else were [throw pillows, curtains]

• Rita Serrano Rita Serrano on Dec 09, 2015
    I had the same thing! We bought a barn door rod kit and bought cheap interior doors to hang. Turned out great but you do need to have enough wall space!

• Jan Jan on Dec 10, 2015
    I have them on a double closet - don't like mirrors - too hard to keep clean. So, I found a frosted panel (like contact but not sticky) that you would use on side lites for a door . I found them on line. I put one down each side of the door leaving and almost equal amount open. Then I found the same kind of decal type thing (only put up with water) and scattered the flowers (or whatever else you choose) up the middle part far enough that you could still see to use it as a mirror for dressing, but broken up so it wasn't all mirror! It turned out wonderfully. I did the same on the other sliding door. Love the look - hope you can understand from my explanation. Good luck on your new outlook.

• Thank you, sounds interesting

• Ginger the farm gal Ginger the farm gal on Dec 10, 2015
    If you replace them you could use them inside the closets or outside in a garden area or as a privacy screen.

• Can do gal Can do gal on Dec 11, 2015
    easiest cheapest solution ,lift them off the the slide, hang a curtain, i put my rod over the door frame of our very shallow closets ,use real nice quality rolling shower hooks and change the curtains with my mood and or season, next question what to do with all that mirrors, have fun

• Kari Roberts Kari Roberts on Dec 12, 2015
    you could stencil a cool design on the mirrors with paint . maybe something moroccan. Or any kind of world market look.

• Sharon Viehdorfer Sharon Viehdorfer on Jun 05, 2016
    You can use transparent paints and mimic cut glass design such that the doors still reflect light.