After what seems like a very long time, I have finally finished my table. I bought it on Trademe for $5, bargain !!! The base was pine and the top MDF with a pine veneer, yuck. And the top was far too big for the space, so after two attempts to cut it down, seems me and a jigsaw aren't the best of friends, but I won (sort of) in the end.
Initially I painted the top white, but our kitchen gets very sunny, so I thought there might be too much glare from the white. Plan B - I dressed some rough sawn timber planks I had, down to 10mm (now I do get on with the thicknesser) and butt jointed them together, too thin to biscuit together.
Next glued them to the original top and applied several coats of shellac and also some teak wax.
The edge was painted white and then to disguise the join I used the last of the jute rope I had made the coasters from and hot glued that on.
To seal the rope I used Mod Podge.
And now it's done, pretty happy with the result.
Published August 4th, 2013 10:30 PM
2 of 7 comments
Michelle W on Feb 21, 2014Hi Carrie, thank you for your comments and definitely no offense taken. The only reason I added the rope edging was to disguise the MDF under the timber top. My cutting skills with the jigsaw were awful and it was a bit uneven on the edge. I will probably make another top at some stage from thicker timber, so that I don't need the MDF. The timber is cracking quite badly as it was very old and dry and the the kitchen is very hot from the large window and the sun.