How do you prevent termites when using vintage wood items?

+3
I would like to use some wooden items (such as doors, windows, etc.) in our yard and patio are that were in my childhood home. My husband is afraid they might have termites that would spread to our home. Is there something I can treat the wood with to prevent this? Thank you
  • Liz Toone Liz Toone on Jun 15, 2017
    I would consult an exterminator that uses green products to see if there is a preventative product available.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 15, 2017
    If you want to treat these pieces, find an enclosed space where you can lay the wood down over a newspaper covered floor. Make sure all windows, doors etc are closed off. Protect your face with a mask and depending of what type of insecticide do you have, you should either spray all over the furniture, or just liberate the gas from the insect-bombs that can be found in the industrial shops. After you have done this step, you have to get out of the room as quick as you ca. Go back after and hour and allow for ventilation. The dead termites should be on the newspapers so carefully throw that out.
    That's all!

• Ellis Ellis on Jun 17, 2017
    If they look sound, and your prior home didn't have a termite infestation, they should be okay.

• Inspect the pieces you wish to use. If there is any termite infestation, it will be plainly visible.

• Laura Laura on Jun 17, 2017
    If you see small holes, these are air or access holes. Dry wood termites cannot be seen as they eat the inside of the wood. Take a small nail and press it sort of on its side anywhere near where you see a hole. If there is a termite tunnel under there the nail will collapse it. You can actually folllow the path. If there termites you may as well dump them as it's almost impossible to kill them without using a tenting process. Used furniture in the south often bring termites into. Homes. That foam stuff, does NOT work.

• Gredmore Gredmore on Jun 17, 2017
    I have seen people on youtube using a solution of borax (20 mule team) in water then painting it on the wood. This may work on wood to repel termites but not to treat exiting termites.