This is a $10 front porch planter...that looks like it cost a lot more! This actually cost me $10 in lumber because I used all furring strip lumber, not the nicer stuff. But it worked out really well. The total came to under $20 once I factored in the screws I had to buy.
First I cut and sanded over 30 pieces of wood. Sounds hard, but it's not that bad! Each of the four sides has 4 vertical pieces and 2 horizontal cleats. Then there is the bottom of the planter and the 45-degree angle mitred top. I sanded these pieces using my orbital sander to clean them up—an essential step when working with furring strips. Wear gloves and watch for splinters.