Can a Pergola be built over an existing deck?

+2
My front deck is impossible to enjoy in the summer because the sun hits there for most of the day. I would like to enjoy it more without completely shading it.
  • Mariann McWhinney Mariann McWhinney on Jun 11, 2017
    Buy a canvas paint dropcloth the size you need and attach to house on one side. On the opposite side use poles at the corners to make it tall enough.
    The dropcloths are inexpensive, heavy weight and some have grommits for easy hanging.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Jun 12, 2017
    You can try a shade sail. Those don't completely block out the sun but they provide plenty of shade.

• Elizabeth Elizabeth on Jun 12, 2017
    Both good ideas, but I'm looking toward a more permanent structure.

• Yes, it can be done, I would hire a contractor for the job to make sure it is completed to code.

• DEK24572287 DEK24572287 on Jun 14, 2017
    I also needed to shade my back patio. I used drop cloths, S hooks and drapery hooks with clips. This worked really well, as I had a patio cover, but the sun was setting on the back of my house and we could not sit outside. I found this idea on Pinterest. Good luck.