How can you add extra fence to current 4’metal- need extra height!

Kelly
by Kelly
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 20, 2018

Is this for around a garden or around the yard. I have four foot chain link around our back yard, my veggie garden is in one corner. We build a four foot fence around it for the garden to keep the dogs out, then two of them started to jump over that without touching the fencing to get after the squirrels that run the fence line once in a while. After they destroyed a good portion of my green beans and some of my carrots, hubby and I used the rest of the roll of fencing material and some real tall thin metal plsts to secure that four feet above it using zip ties and also used them to connect the upper level to the top of the original four feet. We had a gate from a dog run at last place we lived and used that to put a gate in. I don't know if you could do that around a whole yard, that would require setting tall posts in the ground so that you would secure it right and be stable. For a garden, you don't have to have it look like a pro did it.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 20, 2018

Take the caps off the tops of the existing poles and buy a smaller metal piping to fit inside the current ones to add a couple feet. Then buy the flat metal bars and the metal u-fasters. You will need long metal poles for the top bar to fit into the uprights with t-fasteners. Then add your chain link fencing using the u-clips to fasten, and use the flat bars woven through the chain link vertically every so many feet approx 4' to give it some rigidity.

Here's another guys solution similar.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkA8zwEdTU

• Inetia Inetia on Mar 21, 2018

Bamboo fencing comes in a variety of heights and can be attached right to the existing fence. If the fence does not belong to you then you will need permission from whoever put it up.

• Kelly Kelly on Mar 21, 2018

Thank you

• Kelly Kelly on Mar 21, 2018

Basically that’s what we’ve done but I live in Mn and I just stuck some weaker fencing and my dogs are jumping it. Have to work on it with better fencing when snow gone. Thank you

• Kelly Kelly on Mar 21, 2018

Thank you that’s a good idea. Have to wait for snow to melt