I would like to built a small fence right outside my front porch.How?

+1

Can I do this without a permit from the city?

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 07, 2018
    Good question.
    Generally, if improvements to the property are not permanently attached to the main dwelling, and all are within the private property line, then you do not need a permit.
    However, bylaws can vary greatly from one municipality to the other as far as what is not allowed, required, and stipulations in maximum size, height, function, and building materials.
    It is best to check first with your city/county office first just to make sure and to become informed.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 07, 2018
    You just have to call the city and find out what the code is.... i.e. how high it can be, and if your on a corner mention that too as it effects height allowance. If you want it higher then you have to appeal to go higher and get a variance allowance. And if you have a homeowners association you will have to check with them on their rules.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 07, 2018
    It depends on your local zoning rules. My guess is no, you will need to obtain a permit. Call your local municipality and ask who to contact about a fence installation. Where I live, it depends on the cost of the project.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 09, 2018
    Contact your city planning department. Each city has their own building codes.