Want to use portable carport as outdoor entertaining area. Any ideas?

+3
We have taken down our old rotten deck and are putting in a 10" x 18" portable carport. It will be 7" high on the sides and approximately 10" at the center roof ridge. We are going to use it for entertaining and would like some ideas to decorate it to make it more family friendly. We will have our grill and our patio table and 4 chairs as well as an artificial grass carpet underfoot. I would like ideas on ways to decorate it to make it look more inviting and less like a portable carport.
  • Cynthia Cynthia on Jun 05, 2017
    Assuming this carport will be stable, and "permanent", I would treat it more like a room- put an indoor/outdoor area rug rather than grass carpet, and line one side with your grill, and units(tables, shelving, etc. ) to either side to enclose one side. You then create a cooking area with counter or serving spaces. If you can do that along the ten foot side, you then have room for your table, chairs, and a couple of comfortable chairs and a side table. String lighting around the perimeter, extending to the center and you have created a cozy space....
    good lunck, and happy entertaining!

• Susan Savarese Susan Savarese on Jun 05, 2017
    Hi Kay, I love Cynthia's suggestions! Absolutely, put an outdoor rug over the artificial turf you are putting out there. Hang string lights. Maybe hang some lanterns as well. We have an screened enclosed patio that is an additional room in our home, so I have it decorated as such. I love it out there, it's so inviting!

• Carol Jungmann-Crump Carol Jungmann-Crump on Jun 05, 2017
    Another thing I would add to the above would be those magnetic screens you hang up with Velcro. It will keep out the bugs (especially at night). They work great, we have one on our patio door and the dogs can go in and out whenever they want. I got ours at Big Lots for $5

• Debra Pastuszynska Debra Pastuszynska on Jun 05, 2017
    How about a beach theme. A box of leis, gras skirts, photo props, tiki lights, masks art work. Go wild.

• Gina Gina on Jun 05, 2017
    Yes indeed to magnetic screens for entering and exiting. Ikea sells wire to hang curtains. Make sure you add a cover on the top so bugs do not get in above the curtains. Weigh down the bottom.

• Kim Doherty Kim Doherty on Jun 05, 2017
    Maybe a privacy fence on one exposed side. Easy to do with a bamboo type they come in a roll like when you buy a carpet. Can get them at Kmart and Home Depot stores. About $20.