How do you attach shelving to concrete walls

+13

I want to add cheap shelving to concrete walls in basement for storage.

• You will need a masonry drill. Check in your local home improvement store.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 12, 2021

You'll need a masonry drill bit. They are available with the hardware at your big box diy stores.

• Alex Brown Alex Brown on Nov 12, 2021

Hello Sandra,

Drilling a hole in the wall with a masonry drill, inserting a sleeve anchor, and driving a screw into the sleeve to secure the glass shelf is the most effective way to accomplish it right. If you're using floating shelf brackets or a shelf unit with a back that you can connect to the wall, that's how you can accomplish this. I have the same question and I have got the answer from Glass Genius. It is a biggest marketplace for these kind of services.

• William William on Nov 12, 2021

You would need to use a masonry drill bit to drill holes, concrete anchors inserted in the holes, and attach the shelf brackets

• Seth Seth on Nov 12, 2021

Sandra,

You can buy a masonry drill bit at almost any hardware store, but they are very expensive, even small ones. Be sure what size you need. Bring whatever screws/anchors you are using to the store. It might say on the package what size bit to use. Your drill also has to be powerful enough. A regular bit will not work. so don't waste your time trying. The bit will get very hot. Be sure not to touch it right after drilling.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Nov 12, 2021

You will also need tapcon screws.

• Sandra Hawkins Johnson Sandra Hawkins Johnson on Nov 12, 2021

Thanks so much everyone, Will try to get my son to help me. I don't know how to use a drill.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Nov 13, 2021

Sandra, Don't feel that you may be too old to learn.

If you can use an electric hand mixer, you can operate a small electric drill with just a little practice.

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 12, 2021

Attaching Shelving With Concrete Wall Anchors

Mark the Position of the Screws

1. Determine where to put the screws to hold the shelves. The procedure for doing this varies according to the hanging system. If you're installing vertical tracks, set each track in place, plumb it with a level and draw the positions of the screw holes with a pencil. If you're installing floating shelves, hold each shelf in position against the wall using a level to make sure it's horizontal, draw a line under the shelf, then remove the shelf and mark the positions of the screw holes, using a tape measure to space them evenly.
    2. When installing a shelf unit with a backing, drill holes through the backing, set the unit in place, level it and mark the positions of the holes on the wall.

Select Your Concrete Wall Anchors

1. Although they wouldn't be suitable in drywall, plastic conical screw anchors are suitable for hanging shelves on concrete or masonry because there is no danger of the wall material chipping and releasing them. You can also use lead hollow wall anchors. Choose screw anchors approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches long with the same diameter as the screws you're using.

Drill Holes for the Anchors

1. Drill into the concrete using a masonry bit with the same diameter as the anchor as measured at the screw opening. Keep a bowl of water nearby and dip the bit periodically to prevent it from overheating. Tap an anchor into each hole, using a hammer. Make sure the flange around the opening is flush with the wall.

Drive Screws to Fasten the Shelving

1. Set the shelving track or shelving hangers in place and drive a 1- to 1 1/2-inch screw into each screw anchor to secure the track or hanger. Secure the shelving to the track or hanger using whatever equipment is provided with the system you're using.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 12, 2021

Hi Sandra: Don't drill into the mortor, it's not sturdy enough, and go slow. Here is a site that tells exactly how to do that. It's very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_sKt-8YxDc

Good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Nov 13, 2021

Sandra, it just occurred to me (duh) that you were talking about shelving in your basement. This is what I did, and it's working out great :) If your ceiling isn't finished and you can see the studs, what I did was to screw some long boards, 2 x 1's, vertically, to the horizontal boards just above the wall at the ceiling, the wide side of the board (2") flat on the wall, just about to the floor and put shims under them to secure them to the floor to keep them from swinging back and forth. They were too short to get to the floor :( Then I put my shelves on those vertical boards. No drilling into the concrete at all!

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 13, 2021

You have to use a Masonry Drill and some wall plugs, then you can screw it in place.

• Get a masonry bit for your drill and carefully drill into the concrete. Make sure you have the right bit and the right anchor for the wall. Think about the weight of the shelves and what you'll be putting on the shelves before you buy. I would inquire at the hardware store about the best kind. There are lots.