How can I redo my dirty and old kitchen baseboards?

+1

My baseboard s in my kitchen has been kicked and mop splashed for 15 years. It looks horrible. Help!!!!!!! Off white is the color. Would a dark brown or black look better? My counter tops are man- made, black with splash of color. My walls off white with antique glaze and a fiesta green color on the wall behind my wall cabinets. I collect antique Fiesta and it sits on top of my cabinets in a display.thankyou, Nickie Carlile

• Oliva Oliva on Jan 11, 2019

What is your floor color? Would you consider sanding and staining to match the floor? Multiple coats of polyurethane should protect the baseboards.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 11, 2019

If you want to paint, get a few paint samples and paint areas around the kitchen, at least a few of each color to see what would look the best, using the wall colors, floor color and perhaps a color or two of your display. That way you can tell what looks best throughout the day with the changing light in the kitchen. Make sure to put multiple coats of poly on it after to keep it looking nice for a long time, it will really protect your baseboards.

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Jan 11, 2019

Dark colors will show any dust that's there. I think that what Oliva said about several coats of urethane should help keep what ever you decide to put on them.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 12, 2019

My home is older and the baseboards have seen better days. In each room, I removed the 1/4 round and painted the baseboard about 2 shades darker, than the walls. I purchased new 1/4 round and just applied a clear coat. I love the contrast.