How do I get rid of bad smell in my refrigerator & freezer?

+2

While I was on vacation the breaker tripped & my refrigerator was off for 2 weeks. Baking soda has not worked.

• Beth Beth on Jan 20, 2019

Try crumpled newspapers and don't open the door for 2 days. I assume that your fridge is empty right now. If it still smells wipe the insides with rags soaked in vinegar. Hope it works coz it worked on my sister's fridge.

• Cindy Cindy on Jan 20, 2019

Hi Corrine. I'm Cindy. Charcoal will help with the bad smell in your refrigerator and freezer. Put some charcoal on a couple dishes and place them in your refrigerator. It will take some time. Start with one week. If the smell is still there, let it set for another week. Good luck Corrine.

• V Smith V Smith on Jan 20, 2019

Activated charcoal is what you need to use. It is sold where ever they sell aquarium supplies. Get a couple of boxes and put an open dish of it on each shelf and inside the freezer too.

• KO KO on Jan 21, 2019

I fired up a very old fridge that was in the shop and it smelled pretty bad. I sprayed it with a blend of essential oils diluted with water. I allowed it to sit while on for a couple days and it worked great! It removed the smell and even smelled fresh.

• Rynn Rynn on Jan 21, 2019

As a landlord, i have had frigs that are mildew-y/smelly after tenants depart. The biggest suggestion i can make is to LEAVE THE DOOR PROPPED OPEN after you clean it. I like Chlorox for the cleaning process; i remove all the shelves, drawers etc and thoroughly wash at the sink, then attack the empty refrigerator . All the above suggestions are good, but airing it out is an important final step.