Asked on Apr 26, 2024

How to clean pink mold in humidifier?

Oliver Smith
by Oliver Smith



  12 answers
  • William William on May 01, 2024

    First clean the mold with bleach. Rinse well. then clean again with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Vinegar kills mold spores. Do not mix bleach with vinegar. Harmful fumes.

    • Angela Greene Angela Greene on May 12, 2024

      Please read my answer to the question bc I'm absolutely sure vinegar will not kill it.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 01, 2024

    White cleaning vinegar wiped down with microfiber cloth.

    • See 1 previous
    • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 17, 2024

      White cleaning vinegar absolutely kills mold spores. it is the only thing I am confident that will do the trick. It won't always remove staining but will kill it. You have to also address the source to prevent recurring issues. Also, consider switching to a humidifier that has an anti-microbial property. I haven't had any calcium or slime or mold or mildew in my Air Innovations. Over 4 years and I check monthly. You need to verify it is mold in order for the vinegar to be the correct solution.

  • Most humidifiers come with specific cleaning instructions. I would start there. If you can't find your manual, you can usually find them online and download a copy.

  • Candice Cleaver Candice Cleaver on May 02, 2024

    Hi Oliver, do you by any chance have a picture of what the mold looks like? I have a humidifier that has a fuzzy orange mold, I am wondering if it's the same thing.


    I would love to know how to clean it properly and prevent it from reoccurring as right now it's sitting in storage never being used

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 02, 2024

    Take it apart as best you can, clean or soak the areas of it with plain white vinegar, it kills the mold spores. You could contact the manufacturer and see what they suggest so you don't void any warranty.

    • Angela Greene Angela Greene on May 12, 2024

      Please read my answer to the question bc I'm absolutely sure vinegar will not kill it.

  • Deb K Deb K on May 02, 2024

    Hi Oliver, vinegar will kill mold, but you need to make sure you get it into every crevice to kill the mold. Rinse and dry well with a microfiber cloth. To prevent mold, clean it weekly and you will not have this problem again. Hope this helps you.

    • Angela Greene Angela Greene on May 12, 2024

      Please read my answer to the question bc I'm absolutely sure vinegar will not kill it.

  • Equal amounts of water and hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar should be mixed together. Spend at least 30 minutes soaking the detachable components in the mixture. To get rid of all residue, including any pink mold or build-up of mold, scrub the areas with a gentle brush or sponge.

    • Angela Greene Angela Greene on May 12, 2024

      Please read my answer to the question bc I'm absolutely sure hydrogen peroxide will not kill it.

  • Dee Dee on May 05, 2024

    Mix a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water or hydrogen peroxide and water. Soak the removable parts in the solution for at least about half an hour. Scrub the parts with a soft brush or sponge to remove any residue, including any mold build-up or thin layer of pink molds.

    . Fill the tank halfway with this solution and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Swirl the solution around to ensure all surfaces are coated, then use a brush to scrub away remaining mold or buildup.

    • Angela Greene Angela Greene on May 12, 2024

      Please read my answer to the question bc I'm absolutely sure hydrogen peroxide or vinegar will not kill it.

  • I'd use bleach for that and be sure to rinse really well after.

  • Angela Greene Angela Greene on May 12, 2024

    PLEASE READ--VERY IMPORTANT!!!

    The "pink mold" mentioned in the question is actually a bacteria called Serratia and it can make you very sick. I know this bc I was hospitalized for it 3 different times, never knowing where or how I got it since I never saw it. The treatment is a hospital stay for 6 weeks bc it requires a very strong antibiotic called Vancomycin given thru an IV. It is very painful, starting out each time feeling like a pulled muscle, Hospitals won't allow you to do it at home. The 3rd time I had it, the bacteria had attached to my spine that required major surgery to fuse all 6 levels in my neck. I woke up in ICU in alot of pain and had to wear a big bulky neck brace for most of the 6 weeks. If anyone is exposed to the bacteria, especially if it can get in your blood system, it is extremely important that you go to the ER as soon as possible bc the sooner you're able to treat it, the less likely you might need surgery like I did.

    As for cleaning the "pink mold", please do your own research to find out the best, most effective, and safest way and don't just take anyone's advice here on the site bc I haven't read a post where anyone even knew that "pink mold" is actually a bacteria called Serratia and just how dangerous it really is. I'm pretty sure hydrogen peroxide would NOT kill it. And idk about bleach. Definitely please wear gloves, maybe even a double set. I wouldn't wish my experience with Serratia on my worst enemy. I just want everyone to be safe and healthy.


  • Hi Oliver, Hometalk has a guide on cleaning pink mold here (as mentioned above, pink mold is not actually mold - it's a water-borne bacterium): https://www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/bathroom/how-to-get-rid-of-pink-mold-44473966


    We also have a guide on how to clean your humidifier, including when you begin to see mold grow (hydrogen peroxide and cleaning vinegar, which is more acidic than white cooking vinegar, are best here): https://www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/appliances/how-to-clean-a-humidifier-44441622


    I strongly advise against using bleach in a humidifier - you don’t want to inhale mist with bleach in it. You may also lose any warranty by using bleach to clean your humidifier; check with the manufacturer.