How do I clean a toilet?

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jan 04, 2019

Hello Sue,

I have tried many of the tips and tricks to include koolaid and they have failed.

My solution was the pumice stick. This is excellent way to remove stains and rings in the toilet. When commercial toilet cleaners fail -this is my go to. Great for thick crusted calcium mineral build up that the toilet waterbowl collcts.

They are found at my local Walmart for less than two dollars -good for multiple uses.

Be sure to follow the use instructions, soaking the pumice stone in water for a few minutes. While the stone is soaking, grab your toilet brush and splash water up around the ring. Note: It’s very important to keep both the stone and the surface wet while cleaning to avoid scratching your porcelain.

• Dmotan Dmotan on Jan 04, 2019

I use citric acid which I buy on line. For cleaning the entire outside of the toilet, you can use alcohol. I also clean the inside of the tank. Don't put clorax in the tank as it isn't good for it. I make the citric acid powder into liquid and put in tank and scrub where I can. I then flush several times as the citric acid would corrode the metal pieces in the tank.

I don't use chemicals anymore as breathing them isn't the best way to go.

• Karen Karen on Jan 04, 2019

Another way to get rid of calcium ring above the water line. Clean the toilet as you normally do. Get Barkeepers friend and put around the top of the wet ring and let sit for a minute or so. Then wet it and scrub. It will dissolve into bottom of the toilet. It will be a grayish color. Purchase 3M Drywall Plaster Sanding Screens #220 from Home Depot or Lowe's. Cut a 1" square piece from one of the screens and gently but firmly scrub in a circular motion on top of the ring. Dip the screen into the grayish water on a regular basis and keep the ring and the screen wet. Use circular motions only. After about 5-10 minutes the ring will start to fade as to the calcium buildup and will disappear. Took me about 20 minutes or so to get the entire ring off of the porcelain. There will be about a dozen or so sheets of the drywall plaster screens in the box so you should be set for years of scrubbing. Do not get carried away on the circular motion to avoid any possible scratching. Worked quite well on both white toilets. For calcium deposits yellowish in color running down sides of commode, use hot vinegar from a coffee pot to pour onto the sides. May take 3-4 pots of vinegar but should help to dissolve the calcium deposits. I did this to both commodes about 3 months ago and ring is still gone.