Hardwood floor closet has smelled strongly of dog urine for 20 yrs!

+2
The previous owners had a dog..... We now just keep the closet closed and unused because we cannot get the smell out of the wood. The only thing we haven't done is sand the floor and coat it in some kind of sealant. We've used odor-elimination sprays, hung up bags of odor-absorbing materials, etc. Any thoughts on ways to eliminate the odor? And would the sanding and sealing idea even do the trick? It's sad to lose that storage space, as it's at a premium in an old house. Thanks!

• Alison Savill Alison Savill on Jun 27, 2018
    Bleach it first then vinegar with bicarbinate of soda in it then lemon juice should do the trick

• Oliva Oliva on Jun 27, 2018
    If Allison's suggestion doesn't work, try Odo Ban concentrated cleaner. Beyond this, you may need to rip up floor and subfloor, and replace both.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 27, 2018
    Hey Liz - been there fixed that:) I had carpeting pulled up after 40 years only to find that the cats used one corner as a potty! Talk about stink:( I got a product called OdorMute. Sometimes Pet Supplies Plus or Walmart carries it or you can get it on-line. It's a granule and you mix it with warm water. I sprayed the area from the top and from the bottom, going into the basement to do that. I used a goodly amount, but not soaking the wood so it would swell. I left it for a day, resprayed and the smell is gone. This stuff is amazing, you can wash the pets in it if they get sprayed by skunks, your clothes and just everything. Cats peed on my son's baseball pants. He hid them in a plastic bag and I found them several years later. I put them in a pail of water with the OdorMute and they came out smell free and really white. It should work on your floor, it works on everything. And, it's earth friendly and made in the USA! You need something that is an enzyme eater, that's what makes the smell, the enzymes. I highly recommend this product! :) Good luck

• JC JC on Jun 27, 2018
    I have always had great results from Nature's Miracle. they have an advanced dog urine scent and stain remover. You can buy it by the gallon for a little over $30. Pour it on your hardwood floor - it needs to be enough to seep through to the subfloor. Follow the instructions. You may have to treat it more than once. I hope you have as good luck as I have had. I bought mine from Drs Foster and Smith. They have an enzymatic cleaner for skunk odor as well which has worked great for me.

• Karen Karen on Jun 27, 2018

Why not paint the floor? You should prep and primer it first! Good luck!