How do you clean carpets with Dawn?

+12
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 21, 2021

Here's the recipe:

1 gallon of warm water

2T Blue Dawn dish soap

Add the Dawn to the water. Test on an inconspicuous area first.

• Hi Linda,

You should only use dish soap on your carpet to spot treat small stains. It isn't the best choice for a typical shampooing, and it is not recommended for use in a carpet cleaning machine.

For spot treating, mix one teaspoon of dish soap with 32 ounces of water. If the stain is super stubborn, you can also add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the solution. Apply to the stain using a spray bottle, and then allow it to sit for about 10 minutes. Use a clean rag to gently blot the stain, working from the outside to the center. Make sure not to rub/scrub...just gently blot.

Of course, you should always test before use to make sure your carpet won't be damaged by the solution.

Hope this helps you! icon

• Em Em on Jun 21, 2021

Many detergents (soaps) are meant to clean dishes and remove grease. They ATTRACT dirt if not completely removed and that can only be done with a carpet cleaner to extract all of the water and soap with repeated rinsing. Carpet cleaners are designed to clean fibers.

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 21, 2021

Mix one teaspoon of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent, such as Dawn or Joy, into 1 cup of lukewarm water.

• This gives you some tips on how to use Dawn to clean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982HGWir1iI

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 21, 2021

Hi Linda: I would only use it as a spot treatment. I have white carpeting, and when I get a stain, I use just plain water and a white face cloth at first. If the stain is bad, I will put a bit of Pinesol in the water. If you are going to use a machine, I'd use only soap made for that particular machine.

Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 22, 2021

I have mixed up vinegar & water 50/50 with a few drops of blue dawn and used in my carpet cleaner for years.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 22, 2021

Hello. Dawn is a great grease remover for household cleaning. I prefer using the Oxi bleach products for fabric and carpet cleaning. Here’s a link that might be helpful.

https://www.hometalk.com/34259701/spot-cleaning-carpet-with-a-diy-solution

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jun 23, 2021

Put it in a rug shampoo machine or steam cleaner but don’t use that much because you will need to rinse it if it gets sudsy

• Annie Annie on Jun 24, 2021

Dawn dish soap?? Too hard to rinse out. Get a proper carpet cleaner

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 26, 2021

Hi! I've found it great on small stains, but, it would be too sudsy for a whole rug.

• It’s good for spot cleaning but don’t use it as a detergent for cleaning wall to wall carpet. It’s too bubbly and will be incredibly difficult to get out.