How do I get water out of a carpet?

+2

Heavy rains saturated large area of carpet in patio play room. So far we tried, carpet cleaner suction, towels, fans. Any more suggestions. with the last rain, it got wet again so we're back to square one.

• Figure out why the room is getting flooded? Gutters cleaned out and draining? I would solve that issue first, then use a shop vac to suck out all the excess water. Or hire a carpet service to do for you or rent from a local tool supply. Then run your fans.

Is this a new problem? Did you just purchase this home?

• Jan the soap lady Jan the soap lady on Dec 29, 2018

Shop vac it and then put fans on it. It sounds like this is getting to be a habit. Find out where the water is coming in. You need to stop the flow before you can make the rest go.

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Dec 29, 2018

Have you tried a shop vac? You could probably rent one.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 29, 2018

A good heavy duty shopvac would help, but nothing will get all the moisture out that is soaked into the fibers and the padding. Perhaps you need to go with a room size rug or rugs that you can take up when it is supposed to rain heavy in the future. Large fans will help with the drying process, but it will take time. If you have hard floors and rugs, the shopvac will take up the water and dry much quicker.

• Oliva Oliva on Dec 31, 2018

If the patio surface is sufficiently low that intense rains will cause a repeat of this problem, I'd advise doing away with the carpeting.

Can you create a French drain or swale that would redirect this amount of water in the future?

Otherwise, I'd look at a surface material easily removed prior to rains, or one better suited to excessive water.