How to you get rid of small amount of rust in your medicine cabinet?

Barbara
by Barbara
I can only use non toxic cleaner as i have a parrot

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 21, 2018

if it is just a small amount of rust, you can hand sand it start with a piece of large grit first and than a small grit to smooth it out, than since you have a animal don't spray paint it I would hand paint it. Also another side thought if you can take the cabinet off the wall I would do that, and take it outside and do the work.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 21, 2018

Just make sure the parrot is at least two rooms away and have a fan pushing the air out a open window. We have a conure and a blue and gold, we just keep strong smelling things a room or two away. It has to be real strong odor, like perfume being put on right around the close vicinity of the bird to really cause problems. I have only lost two birds in the last twenty years from guests spraying perfume on right by the birds. That girl has never lived that down and my daughter won't ever forgive her for doing it two different times.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Mar 22, 2018

Vinegar does a good job at cutting through it.

• Sto9987562 Sto9987562 on Mar 23, 2018

Rust oleum makes a product that bonds with rust. I used it inside my medicine cabinet some years ago. Prep by cleaning and lightly sanding off any loose particles. apply product, it will dry black. Then paintvwith a good gloss and it’s done! As I recall it isn’t a strong odo, but I’d heed the advice of a previous post and move your birds a few rooms away. Mine is still rust free after 5 years!

• Barbara Barbara on Mar 23, 2018

Thanks soo much.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 23, 2018

Try a mix of salt and vinegar paste and apply. Let sit for a while and then wipe thoroughly.

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Mar 23, 2018

Scrub with steel wool

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 23, 2018

Steel wool it, clean it and use rustoleum or tremclad to repaint it.

• Deb K Deb K on Mar 23, 2018

You can remove it and paint it outside, usually only 2 - 4 screws holding it in