Need recommendations on what to use to clean kitchen cabinets.

+10
I want to paint my dark cupboards white, but they are really greasy and dirty. Any suggestions on what to use to get YEARS of grease and grime off?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jul 29, 2017
    Try white vinegar and water with a dab of blue dawn dish soap

• Jul17686545 Jul17686545 on Jul 29, 2017
    Try Murphy's oil soap, or even a magic eraser.

• Elisabeth Elisabeth on Jul 29, 2017
    Go to the hardware store and buy TSP - Trisodium Phosphate. It works great for paint prepping and will take all the grease off.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Jul 29, 2017
    TSP/Trisodium Phosphate/Sugar Soap will be the most effective way to clean those cabinets, Ldebbert. It's so good that places like Home Depot and Lowe's recommend it to prepare cabinets for painting.

It's also not particularly toxic for use in the kitchen and is actually a food additive in North America and Europe.

You'll want to use gloves as the solution can be very drying to the skin.

• William William on Jul 29, 2017
    TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). As for painting the cabinets:

Make sure they are clean and dry. Use acrylic latex paint. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• TSP is what I always use before starting any painting project.

• Marie Banti Marie Banti on Jul 29, 2017
    I use powder spic and span. It really cuts thru grease!

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 29, 2017
    I use Awesome Degreaser or Awesome Orange from the Dollar Tree, tip the Awesome Orange comes in 1/2gal for $1. I also use the big car sponge from the Dollar Tree. It just melts the stuff off. Be sure to wear gloves.

• Lauri zaker Lauri zaker on Jul 29, 2017
    Try vinegar/water /Dawn in a sprayer(1/3 vinegar,2/3 water, few drops of Dawn dish detergent) and blue scrubbie or if you don't care if some of the finish doesn't come off, use green scrubbie. Or.......borax powder in water; they sell it everywhere now; try KMart or Target, grocery store,etc. I got all the grease off my kitchen hood with it.

• FdLNana FdLNana on Jul 29, 2017
    Thanks. Will share pics if I ever get it done!!

• Karen Krysowaty Karen Krysowaty on Jul 29, 2017
    The orange cleaner from the dollar store works well but be prepared for the strong smell-some people say it is hard on their noses and throats. and wear gloves

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jul 29, 2017
    TSP can do that and can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot .