How to clean markers out of my sofa?

+13
My children wrote with markers and pen on the fabric of the sofa. Please, does anyone know how I can remove them from the vision? Sorry for my English if any mistakes. Thank you a lot!
q post
q post
q post
  • Susan Oglesby Canny Susan Oglesby Canny on Jun 05, 2017
    Use and acohol based hair spray or hand sanitizer saturate the ink stain working it in until you see it start to run and fade. clean with fabric cleaner. May have to repeat a couple of times.

• Klb23591005 Klb23591005 on Jun 05, 2017
    Hand sanitizer like purel. I have a white sofa my grandson decided needed a little decoration and he did it up with a black ink pen. Came right out. Also another grandson tried to teach himself piano by writing #'s on my piano keys. Purel to the rescue. Came right off

• DiannaLynne DiannaLynne on Jun 05, 2017
    plain rubbing alcohol will work. It's the alcohol in the hand sanitizer or hair spray that removes ink. But you're not going to be adding the other elements of those products.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jun 06, 2017
    I was going to suggest rubbing alcohol too. Be careful though, and try it in an inconspicuous area first. Sometimes it can leave a "ghost stain"; a lighter-coloured bigger stain, on certain fabrics, that you may not notice while it is still damp. As Susan stated, you may need to repeat it a few times.

• Imp22013828 Imp22013828 on Jun 06, 2017
    Bakingsoda and liquid hand soap. Looks to Ms together and make paste with touch of water and maybe a small scrub brush. This works especially well on marker stains. Think fast. Aren't kids great?

• Lorelei Wheeler Lorelei Wheeler on Jun 06, 2017
    try a baby wipe first, sometimes that works, then go for the rubbing alcohol and a clean white cloth. If you can remove the cushion covers, do that. Place a clean white paper towel behind it as you blot on the alcohol and blot it off. Keep a clean part of the towel or cloth all the time, front and back for each blot. .

• Carol Taylor Carol Taylor on Jun 06, 2017
    I got black marker out of my car with liquid gold then used warm sudsy water with dawn dish detergent. This was advice given by a detailed. May work

• Michel Michel on Jun 06, 2017
    Thanks all for your precious advice. I am still trying. I use Hand sanitizer but as B. Enne suggest it leave a bigger stain. I wil try to repeat the operation. I will keep you updated. Thanks again.
    Michel

• Lindy Lindy on Jun 06, 2017
    Do your covers come off the cushion via a zipper, etc? Hopefully that's a yes. My husband worked for the PO and he put an elbow in a permanent Postal ink pad used for cancelling stamps. I got it out with Lestoil cleaner. Alcohol will bleed the stain and you have to keep working (tried that AND the hairspray) Remove cover and work whatever product you use from the inside after placing a towel over the right side of the fabric--this will work the ink into the towel and the product into the stain if this makes sense. Hopefully you can wash the covers afterward or dry clean. A friends son (when he was little) made a tracing of his sister (like a crime scene) with a black magic marker on the white carpet. Lestoil worked for them too!

• Carolyn Chambers Carolyn Chambers on Jun 06, 2017
    Simple Green took red marker off my white chairs

• Janis K Harrison Janis K Harrison on Jun 06, 2017
    Do you have a scrap of the fabric? Sometimes you're given pieces that are semi-fitted to protect the arms of a piece. You can test various stains and stain removal on them...

• Sha5649911 Sha5649911 on Jun 06, 2017
    I got pen out of an antique lace doiley with milk, soaked it covered with plastic so it did not dry out and then rinsed with water, they used to do it in the old days, also sun will bleach items, used to leave stained table cloths in the sun in the old days too, got this info from a site on what they did in the old days

• Maria Maria on Jun 06, 2017
    you can use Awsome from the dollar store. It has an orange label. It's only .99 cents at the .99 cent store. Just mix equal parts because is kind of strong.

• Tricia Tricia on Jun 06, 2017
    One method I have used in the past to remove ink stains from clothing is aerosol hairspray. I've never tried it on upholstering but it's worth a try. Spray a good amount onto the stain and rub it with a clean cloth. (With clothing I rub the stain together against itself.) If there is a way to remove the material and rub together that would be your best alternative. Repeat until stain is gone. It amazingly gradually disappears. Try in inconspicuous spot first to test colorfastness.

• Michel Michel on Jun 22, 2017
    Thanks all for your precious advice. Finally i didn't succeed after all attemps and have no choice but give it to a profesionnal. It is solved now.
    thanks to all
    Michel

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Jun 22, 2017
    Michel, no need to apologize for using second language. Instead, be proud that you are bilingual. That's not easy to do..