Badly discolored copper molds

+2
These decorative copper molds have lost their finish from hanging in the kitchen for years. The ones above the cooktop are the ones effected. Is there any way to clean and re-finish them?
  • Elaine Elaine on May 27, 2017
    Some copper moulds are protected with a lacquer type finish and some aren't. I had a copper colandar with protective finish that also wore off with time. When that happened, I just cleaned it occasionally with a product called Brasso; there are other companies too. I never bothered applying a further protective finish as I found if I washed my copper say, every two weeks in sudsy water, rinsed then buffed dry, it kept its nice shine. (However, if you are wanting a protector on top, it might be wise to ask at a hardware store.)

The same thing applies to solid silver and silver-plate ... actually using it regularly and washing it (never in the dishwasher, though!) avoids tarnishing. Perhaps, once you polish your copper with a copper cleaner and then wash it every few weeks, you may find it retains its shine and sparkle.

• Brandy Grimes Brandy Grimes on May 28, 2017
    kerchup also cleans brass up nicely if you don't have brass cleaner

• Stacie Stacie on May 28, 2017
    Tarnex worked really well on my copper tea kettle.

• Judy Judy on Jun 06, 2017
    I can only suggest sos pads. They are a great scrubber, and so is a scrub side of a sponge. Try these, with my best wishes, J.

• Ginny Ginny on Jun 07, 2017
    Copper and brass loses patina over the yrs. but you might try using Brasso to help remove dirt and grease. Maybe washing them more often after you get then cleaned up will keep them looking better.