Cat urine stain (Yuck!) on hardwood floors?

+5
There are several black spots from cat urine that soaked the hardwood floors in one of the bedrooms in our new home. What can we do to treat those spots, or do we need to refinish the entire floor in that room?
  • Jillian Schell Jillian Schell on May 30, 2017
    Try hydrogen peroxide

• Ber9101993 Ber9101993 on May 31, 2017
    I had the same proble m, we used baking soda to soak up the wet. It worked, but remember, where they have gone once, they'll repeat ! I moved the litterbox to a new spot. Good luck

• Barry Dingle Barry Dingle on Jun 06, 2017
    The first thing to do is get rid of the damned evil cat(s).
    There is a good product on the market called "Nature's Miracle". It has enzymes that will get rid of the odor as well as work on getting rid of stains on carpet and other fabrics, it may work on stained hardwood floors depending on how long the stain was there before being noticed.
    My son bought a house several years ago from someone the neighbors described as a "neat freak" and "Germophobe". The house smelled like cat piss so his first step was to get rid of all of the carpeting. The wood floors under the carpet were so stains we thought we'd never get rid of the smell. After several heavy applications of chlorine bleach the smell was replaced by the smell of chlorine, the house had to air out for several days. The stains were still there but noticeably lighter. (The floors were never finished to be good looking hardwood floors, they were raw wood). Just before the new carpet was installed we applied a good dose of Nature's Miracle. The new carpet was installed and the odor was gone, (It's still gone. Between the bleach and the Nature's Miracle it was a winning combination but the appearance of the floor was beyond ever making it look nice, which it wasn't intended to do in the first place.
    Either the bleach or the Nature's Miracle might make a light colored or bleached looking spot on your floor, test in an inconspicuous spot before going wild with the process of cleaning.

• Sharon Sharon on Jun 07, 2017
    I like the tablet cat enzyme cleaners. Jackson Galaxy, the cat guy from My Cat From Hell, makes one on Amazon. Mixing it fresh, it is so more active in removing odor. I mix in a squirt bottle. Then they make a deterrent from cedar oil that you spray on areas to repel cat from that area. Best to buy the black light flashlight too, so you can see where the little devil has done his/her business.
    Take cat to vet, they usually start this when they get uric acid crystals in their kidneys. Keep box real clean, and wash out once in awhile to keep it fresh.

• Terry Terry on Jun 14, 2017
    Thanks!!

• Sara1423 Sara1423 on Jul 16, 2017
    I had the same problem when i bought a house. Unfortunately sanding them down can only do so much. You can try to refinish with a darker stain but other than that the only option would be to cut out the pieces and replace them all together. I, myself, put a table over it because the flooring guy didn't tell me a darker stain would help (not guaranteed) and my floors were finished before I saw the end result. :(

• Terry Terry on Jul 17, 2017
    Thank you Sara1423 - I had hoped to find a simple solution, but there doesn't appear to be anyway around the sanding /dark stain or removing the stained pieces. :( Thanks again.