How do I clean my silver?

+2
  • Bella's mommy Bella's mommy on Dec 09, 2017
    Now I have only done this on my sterling silver jewelry since I do not own a set of silver utensils. Toothpaste. Just plain ol Colgate. And a clean towel that isn't linty. Use one corner of the towel, put a dollop of toothpaste and gently rub Into the silver. Use the other side to wipe clean. Toothpaste also works great to patch small nail holes in walls and works better then tape to adhere to a wall since you can wipe it clean with a hot soapy rag. Happy shining.

• Peter Peter on Dec 09, 2017
    toothpast IS abrasive! Over time it will be scratched an permanently dull. [until it is machine buffed & polished]
    There is a Hot water and baking soda and aluminum foil recipe that works on tarnished silver. Place the silver in the bath for 20+ minutes and most will be easily wiped off.

• Suzette Suzette on Dec 09, 2017
    Hi Jody, Here's a how to video that looks pretty easy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLwSDWyySA

Good luck!

• William William on Dec 09, 2017
    Peter is mistaken. Toothpaste works on teeth. Doesn't scratch or dull them HA HA!

I sell a lot of silver on Ebay. Jewelry, silverware, serving sets. Silver polish and dips tend to remove some of the metal. The foil method doesn't work that great and still leaves a grey film that still needs to be removed AND it also removes some of the metal. I use white toothpaste (not gel)and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.

• Judy Judy on Dec 09, 2017
    Soak them in coke, (the liquid pop) and all will amaze you. J.