Asked on Aug 12, 2014

I have the smell of a dead bird in my fireplace chimney

I have the smell of a dead bird in my fireplace chimney. My question is what can I use to get rid of the awful smell? I plan to put a screen over the opening at the top since I am currently not using it for the past couple years. I hope the screen will stop more birds or animals from nesting in the chimney. For now I am just hoping there is something I can use or do to rid the smell in my living room. I have a wood stove fireplace with a closed door. Thanks for any advice and help.
  3 answers
  • The one good thing is that after a few days the smell goes away. I would get one of those battery operated sprayers from Glade to put there and so it will spray every few minutes and thus help cover up the odors. I have one in my boys bathroom and it is nice because you can set the timer and it lasts a month or longer depending on how many sprays an hour it does. good luck
  • Susan Susan on Jun 11, 2015
    I would have burnt some palm or something strong for a while.
  • Jim1278493 Jim1278493 on Jan 20, 2016
    you MUST remove that dead bird. They carry diseases. You will get an influx of flies as the bird decays. Call a Chimney Sweep to get it out and a proper cap!!!