Don’t ask what happened, but how do I clean melted carpet?

+9
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 01, 2018
    Hi Diana,
    I'm not sure what exactly you are asking.... Is it the carpet backing that seems to be stuck on to something?. Could you please post a picture?

• Diana gould Diana gould on Jan 02, 2018
      Half of my question didn’t appear. I want to get melted carpet off of the bottom of my cast iron frying pan. Here is the picture.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 01, 2018
    Generally it's the backing that breaks down and adheres to what is underneath. I scrape what I can first, and then use Goof Off or Goo Gone to get the sticky stuff off.

• Cynthia Cynthia on Jan 01, 2018
    Place a towel on top, then using an iron on low heat, go over the wax and it will be absorbed by the towel

• Judy Judy on Jan 01, 2018
    Diana, this has happened to us, in NY. We cut hidden areas of carpet, that are behind chairs, sofa's, or tv's, and iron these into the area that was burned. Be sure to put a paper towel on this area, before you iron. This will be fine, and everything will be fine. You are human, and we all have done this. Keep your chin up, and have a lovely New Year, J.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 02, 2018
    You can't.. Patch it or re-fit - Do you have Insurance?

• Gracie Gracie on Jan 02, 2018
    You have to patch it. Happened to me when I knocked a hot iron off the ironing board - had to replace the patch.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 02, 2018
    I'm sorry that didn't help. I looked a little more and found one article that recommended nail polish remover. As thick as yours looks, now that I see the picture, I would use a razor scraper to remove as much as possible first.

• Gracie Gracie on Jan 03, 2018
    How about sand paper to get most of it off and then maybe acetone?

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 03, 2018
    Woo, that's a doozy!
    Anything solution that heats up the pan will probably cause the melted carpet to get runny and sticky. So I would say approach it in the opposite direction- put it outside or in a deep freeze where it will freeze. With removing other substances such as glue or gum, when frozen, it should start to crack. Then you can scrape off the cracking bits with a sturdy brush.
    If this doesn't work, repost your question again, saying what you have already tried.