How do I clean rubber backed curtains with black mould on t

+6
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Jan 04, 2018
    I would dispose of them. Black mold is hard to kill once it gets into rubber. Bleach would kill it, but also kill the backing, so either way, it's not worth the hassle or danger to your family.

• Try vinegar, the acid in the vinegar will kill the mold spores, (bleach does not), it could also ruin the rubber. Worth a try though. Does the room have enough ventilation?

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jan 04, 2018
    Yes that's a way bigger issue than a shower curtain. First confirm its black mold then have the rest of the room checked because chances are it isn't thee black mold but just mold. How long did it take to grow since you last cleaned? It just might be that,sorry but,that you are not cleaning that room as often as you should and mold developed over time. I believe that there are kits to purchase to check yourself if it is black mold. In the meantime I would get into the habit of washing shower curtain once a month with a white towel and I use bleach and have had the same vynil curtain for 2 years with no problem. Now if you don't want the hassle of washing it once a month then pick up 12 cheap ones and change out once a month. I don't recommend that but hey I don't know your schedule so I don't judge. I personally hate cleaning I don't do it with a smile you can actually hear some unmentionable words under my breath as I clean. But I did purchase a quality shower curtain and don't mind laundry,heck the machine does the work. Now with that said ,you don't put the shower curtain in the dryer,you shake it out as you pull it out of the machine. Then I race upstairs to not wet the floor too much. I hang up to dry.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 04, 2018
    I assume they are thermal window curtains. If you don't kill all the mold it will keep coming back. You really don't want to have mold or mildew around no matter what it is for health reasons. Try a small spot of bleach water, not too heavy on the bleach to see if it will eat the rubber. If not, wash with this. Try a small spot with vinegar and see if it changes the rubber, if not, spray vinegar over the whole curtain. The vinegar will kill the spores of mold and mildew. Myself, I would just chuck the curtains and get new. I have two with respiratory problems and one allergic to mold.

• Itsmemic Itsmemic on Jan 05, 2018
    Throw that crap out. Why take a chance of getting sick? Go to any thrift store and get yourself new curtains, they always have tons of them..it will be FUN !!

• Fauxreal Fauxreal on Jan 05, 2018
    spray w in the hydrogen peroxide do not dilute it this will not hurt your backing or material, then wash if possible or wipe clean. You can also use fantastic spray cleaner on the rubber backing.