How do you clean a ceiling fan?

+4
  • Peg Peg on Dec 20, 2017
    Swiffer sells a ceiling fan tool that keeps them clean.

• Barbara Barbara on Dec 20, 2017
    we use the Swiffer duster with the longer handle also. But in Spring I get on a ladder and clean good with soap and water.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 20, 2017
    We use ours all year, in the bedrooms and kitchen, so they get dusty. I have a long handled wand, but, mostly I take a pillowcase, slide it over each blade and pull it towards me. After I do one, I take the pillowcase outside, shake the loose stuff off and throw it in the wash. The wand is great for spiderwebs since spiders love mine for some reason. If I am feeling ambitious and have the ladder out, I will clean them with a damp microfiber cloth. They aren't hard to keep clean if you dust them regularly.

• Monica Monica on Dec 20, 2017
    TSP

• Margaret Margaret on Dec 21, 2017
    Hi Sheila, I did mine the simple way. I took down the ceiling light fixtures and cut an opening large enough to put the mounting box for the fan in. From there you attach the electrical wires, push everything back into the fixture and tighten the screws. I attached chains with nice decorator pulls on them, so that I can pull a chain to turn the fan off and on or turn the light off. The lights on the fan can be turned off with the wall switch while the fan continues to run. I live in Alaska so do not need air conditioning. The lights were installed in the centers of the bedrooms, entry way and living room so the wiring did not need to be connected at another outlet and then pulled up through the wall and ceiling where you want it. The blades on the fan can be switched to either clockwise or counterclockwise. I loved my bedroom fans as they came out of the box. I hated the tacky globes on the living room fan; I simply took them off and put some decorator lightbulbs up and now it looks modern. A remote control came with the living room fan so it can be set to come on automatically when the room reaches a certain temperature. The fan has several speeds and the lights can be dimmed. I am older now and couldn't hold my arms up standing on a ladder to connect the wiring while holding a fan. If you or your partner aren't up to DIY, it doesn't cost a lot for an electrician to put them in if you purchase the fans you want at a big box store, I bought mine at Home Depot, have them laid out of the box and a ladder set up for him. He will charge by the hour and you do not need to pay him to open boxes and run back to his truck for his ladder. Good luck, I enjoy my fans and like the way they look. It got so hot in the living room when I turned on my closed gas fireplace that we had to turn the fan on also to distribute the heat. The house is always the correct temperature so it does get hot when I turn on the fire. Enjoy your project and new fans.