How to clean a wooden banister that is nearly black.

+3
  • Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 15, 2017
    TSP/Tri-sodium Phosphate/sugar soap will clean loads of soil and grease off your wooden banister, Jonathan. It's commonly available at hardware stores.

You'll want to wear rubber gloves (it can be extremely drying to the skin) and to rinse your banister thoroughly with clean water after cleaning. Give the banister a light lemon oil treatment afterwards.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 15, 2017
    What colour did it start out as? Try wash soap water and a little bleach and of course rubber gloves.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 15, 2017
    I like shaving cream for cleaning wooden cabinets or banisters. It is easy to apply and cleans well. If the grime goes too deep you could use a tire cleaner. IT WORKS. Let it set and then carefully scrub with a soft brush. Reapply as needed. It won't hurt the wood, but is the best for real grime. Here is a photo:

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 15, 2017
    nearly black that is paint ?

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 15, 2017
    I would use something like a credit card to scrape some of the gunk off. I'm guessing that the finish under the gunk is shot so most likely you will be going down to bare wood and starting over. I like Krud Cutter when I don't have to worry about removing good finish. Clean from the bottom up so you don't get clean running thru dirty, those streaks can be hard to remove.