How do I clean burnt -on cheese from aluminum pots?

Lloyd
by Lloyd
+2

How to clean stubborn stains on aluminum pots?

• I would fill with hot water and add a little dishwasher detergent or dishwasher soap. Soak it overnight.

• Mad29883817 Mad29883817 on Sep 02, 2019

Bar Keepers Friend

• Bijous Bijous on Sep 02, 2019

Hi. Lloyd. Cover the burned area with water. Add 3-5 tablespoons of salt. Soak for at least 6 hours. Then fill pot with water and more salt (about the same as before) and bring to a boil. Boil for at least 3 minutes. This should lift the cheese. Use cream of tartar to clean completely. Aluminum marks easily. Good luck.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 07, 2019

Oh good grief Lloyd!  What I'd do is warm up the pot and scrape off as much cheese as I could. Then make a thickish paste of Cream of Tartar (the dry stuff, not what you put on fish) and vinegar. Use just a bit of vinegar at first as the cream of tartar melts easily. Spread this on the gunk, wait about 15 or 20 seconds and use a plastic putty knife, so you won't scratch the pot. You're in enough trouble as it is! If you must, you can use a Choir Boy scrubber, but don't go heavy on it. If your pot has a copper bottom, you can clean that with Barkeepers Friend and a sponge. Or, if it's not too dirty, you can use catsup. Yup, the stuff you put on your hot dog. Right, 'if it's not too dirty', to a guy who burned cheese! hahahaha Anyway, good luck and be careful next time:)