How to clean cast iron skillet?

+2
  • you don’t want to use much water (if any). I always use salt and a little oil. Here is a tutorial https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107747

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 23, 2019

From food or rust. Usually an SOS pad.

• Dmotan Dmotan on Jan 23, 2019

Wow, I have done this many ways. I have put them in my oven on the clean cycle. Of course, this means your rack gets messed up as they lose their shine and smoothness when cleaned in the oven. I had one pan which just didn't lose its "funk" smell and taste so after cleaning it in the oven, I got it very hot and poured vodka in it and let it boil. Took the funk away, and no, I didn't drink the vodka. I have also done this using vinegar. Afterwards, I heat skillet and use avocado oil to oil it. I don't use shortening or lard as I don't cook with them.

I'm sure people will respond to your inquirty using great methods.

Some people do this for a living and have all the chemicals and heating systems to do a great job.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 23, 2019

For normal cleaning, I use a scrub daddy sponge and water. Then dry and stick on the stove for a couple of minutes on high to make sure it's completely dry to prevent rust.

Do you have a problem?

• Sheila Sheila on Jan 24, 2019

I was told you clean it with boiling water on a stove, no detergent or sos pads