How to clean silver jewelry

+2
  • Jeanne Creel Jeanne Creel on Dec 28, 2017
    Look in Hometalk archives for the recipe using aluminum foil and baking soda

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 29, 2017
    The aluminum foil is to be used only in a limited basis. After a while it continues to take off some of the silver and you also have residual left that needs to be cleaned off. Use plain white toothpaste and a toothbrush, no gel or extra things added, just plain. This is very gentle and won't strip the silver and rinses off easily. It also won't be as hard on the more fragile stones that may be in your jewelry. Rinse well with warm water and make sure you got all the little crevices. Toothpaste works on all metals using a tooth brush to get into anything decorative and an old rag or washcloth for the rest.

• William William on Dec 29, 2017
    I sell a lot of silver on Ebay. Jewelry, silverware, serving sets. Silver polish and dips tend to remove some of the metal. The foil method doesn't work that great and still leaves a grey film that still needs to be removed. I use white toothpaste (not gel)and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.

• ROSE ROSE on Dec 29, 2017
    I use toothpaste and a tooth brush. It really get it clean.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 29, 2017
    plain white toothpaste