How can I clean spots off a lampshade?

There are black splatter spots on a linen lampshade I bought what can I use to either hide or remove them

• Dee Dee on Jan 04, 2020

Ok I just saw your second post. Since it is Linen this is what I would do.

start with a light dusting by a feather duster, microcloth, or gentle vacuum to remove dirt. Next, mix a teaspoon of very gentle detergent or Ivory soap with water in the tub or sink.

Rinse the shade gently with warm water and hang to dry.

Cleaning the entire lamp shade not just the spots will make sure that it does not streak.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jan 04, 2020

If it is real linen, then it will not “like” getting very wet.

If it is a polyester linen-look, it can take “washing” assuming it doesn’t have a paper-type lining.

If the black spots are oxidized food/drink splatters or mildew, I would look at them with a magnifying glass to determine if vacuuming them would help remove the particles before spot-applying hydrogen peroxide.

If hydrogen peroxide doesn’t phase it after 2-3 applications, I would use a mild solution of oxygenated bleach, not chlorine bleach. This is like an Oxyclean. I would shop vac any residual bleach solution, if it is real linen.

• Emily Emily on Jan 04, 2020

If you can't use the lampshade as is, I would try a more stringent method. Yes, linen is a fine fabric, but it is securely fastened to your lampshade. Without knowing what the splatter is (or do you know?) it is hard to say that any method would remove them. If they are scattered (are they) it would be difficult to cover them with something else. If the lampshade is unusable as is why not just try washing it? I wash my fabric lampshades under the kitchen sink faucet with kitchen liquid soap, rinse them well, hang to dry on clothesline out doors.