Is it ok to use bleach when you are on a septic system?

+7
Answered
  9 answers
  • Buck Buck on Jan 01, 2018
    I wouldn't really use bleach in my septic bleach kills bacteria that rots the waste away, I know where I live they dump it in the water to purify it, we try not to use to much in our laundry. once a month we use Yeast or a chemical that creates bacteria and haven't had any problems, you can get it in Home Depot or Walmart.

  • John Patrick Madden John Patrick Madden on Jan 01, 2018
    I wouldn't, as it will kill the bacteria that live and do all the "work" in the septic tank.

  • Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Jan 01, 2018
    we do and had no problems in over 20 years

  • Brn28388018 Brn28388018 on Jan 01, 2018
    I have used it 40 years, however for past few years, I have used more oxyclean. I had read clorine bleach is not good in septic system.

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jan 01, 2018
    I personally avoid it, but it is suggested to be safe in small amounts. Please consider the source here.

  • Lori Lori on Jan 01, 2018
    It will kill the natural enzymes in the tank.

  • Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 01, 2018
    Chemicals actually do more harm than bleach. Keep bleach to a minimum. Drain cleaners, oils and fats, and other chemicals should be avoided. For a natural alternative to increase "good" bacteria and keep them healthy pour 1 quart of buttermilk down the drain or flush in a toilet a few times a year. Or you can use 1/4 cup instant dry yeast a few times a year as well. You system should be inspected every 3 years to make sure you have no breaches or leaks (you can do this yourself) and it is recommended it is pumped out every 5 years.

  • Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Jan 01, 2018
    Bleach can be used In small amounts. Also, if someone in the house is on an antibiotic for some period of time you might have to "renew" the bacteria that breaks down the contents of your septic system. The person that cleans your septic tank should be able to give you the best advice.

  • B. Enne B. Enne on Jan 01, 2018
    I avoid it. For the very few times that I did use it, I made sure it was mixed with a lot of water. If you only use it occasionally, it is probably okay, just don't pour it undiluted down the drain.