Asked on Dec 19, 2015

Removing labels printed on plastic

Jeanette S
by Jeanette S
+8
I have seen here on HT where there is a formula for removing printing from plastic containers. Does anyone know what it is? I want to remove the printing off a Folger's red plastic coffee container.
  • Denise Denise on Dec 19, 2015
    it's called Goo Be Gone. Works awesome every time. Home depot carries it. Put a dab on a paper towel, place paper towel on sticky stuff wait a minute. Gently rub sticky off.

• Jane Golden Jane Golden on Dec 19, 2015
    Sometimes soaking the item in water with a couple of dryer sheets will work...also peanut butter on the label will sometimes dissolve the goo.

• L W F L W F on Dec 19, 2015
    You can also microwave the item the label is on (with water in it) - carefully and slowly. It then is a lot easier to peel off. Some residue may remain - I use coconut butter and a bit of baking soda in a paste to remove left over goos! Good luck!

• Jean Worrill Jean Worrill on Dec 19, 2015
    WD40 works on any type sticker glue even from your hands...Love it!

• Elaine Freimuth Elaine Freimuth on Dec 19, 2015
    I agree with Jean! and also with Jane peanut butter works great! Good luck!

• Lolly Lolly on Dec 19, 2015
    Lighter fluid takes labels off

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 19, 2015
    Is this the post.www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/house/homemade-sticker-remover-glass-jars-5193090/jars

• MN Mom MN Mom on Dec 19, 2015
    I believe you can remove printing from plastic with the Goo Gone or Goof Off products. If it is an actual label you should be able to soak it off

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Dec 20, 2015
    I chose to use 100% Acetone Nail Polish remover. Wow! With that orange peel type finish on the Folger's can, it was a task! When I finished getting the paint off, there was a whitish residue which I did not like so I took a drop of two of olive oil on a paper towel and wiped down the can...STUNNING! CAUTION: Keep in mind Acetone is highly flammable...do not use near flames. It evaporates quickly so paper towels can be put in trash.

• Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Mar 04, 2016
    I know you are probably past doing this but I just want to let you know if you mix a little oil with baking soda it will take off labels and all the writing on any plastics. I keep a container of this under the sink and I use it every day as I save cans and plastic bottles, jars, glass bottles jars, milk jugs and whatever! With the writing on a jug just make sure you use more of the baking soda and not so much of the oil. It works like a sandpaper and removes all the writing. It also removes glue left from labels by putting it over the glue spots, let it sit overnight or longer and i use a green scrubber pad to get it off or if it is glass it usually just wipes off with a wet cloth. Hope this helps!