Any ideas on how to clean and use old rope lights from my patio?

+3
I have about a good 40 feet of three year old rope lights My husband wants to put outdoor bulbs and throw these away but they still work just super dirty and don't know what else to use them for. I would hate to throw them away! I need some ideas to save these guys from the trash bin.
q any ideas on how to clean and use old rope lights from my patio
Very dirty!!
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on Dec 09, 2017
    Super dirty with what? Some baking soda scrub might work. If the plastic has been damaged by the sun, you might try a compounding polish - like for car headlights.

• If you can't use them elsewhere, give them away! I find homes for all kinds of stuff on nextdoor.com.

Dip an old rag in vinegar. Will clean them right up!

• Pg Pg on Dec 09, 2017
    Maybe loop them through your garden, or use them at Christmas time.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 09, 2017
    If they have been outside in the sun... the plastic will have darkened and the cost of replacing the plastic tubing will be more than buying new lights... you can try scrubbing with baking soda and vinegar but the plastic may be beyond resurrecting. You could lay them along a pathway or side walk and secure them with wire hairpins.. they would glow just enough to outline the path way.

• Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Dec 09, 2017
    Soapy water and a rag, unplugged of course.