How do you clean a screened wooden deck?

+3
Screened deck. Wood. Covered in pollen. 1 screen door for entrance/exit. How to care for the wood?
  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Jun 18, 2017
    We have a screened porch on our home and we live in the South and pollen is very heavy in Spring then it sort of, goes away...but a screened porch is lovely but it does need cleaning of dust periodically that just naturally accumulates in there....I have a leaf blower that I just blow out all the dust/pollen every so often....takes about 5 minutes and all of it just blows out the screens and the deck floor.. try it...

• Norris720 Norris720 on Jun 18, 2017
    Janet.haole - A blower will work, but with heavy pollen you may want to power wash. There hose attachments that may give you enough pressure. I would also rinse my screens as well. After the deck has dried, you can reseal the deck, stain it, or paint it with a Deck Paint.

• Rod Fontaine Rod Fontaine on Jun 18, 2017
      Thompsons water seal would be appropriate after the power washing if you want to leave the wood natural.

• Tyra Tyra on Jun 18, 2017
    Leaf blower works great

• Ginny Ginny on Jun 18, 2017
    How about drilling weep holes (1" x 1" or 2" x 2") every 3 ft. or so that when you hose your porch the water runs out the holes. I had to drill weep holes in the frame of the storm windows that were in my house when I first moved in 40 yrs. ago. In a heavy rainstorm water filled the windowsills, ran over the sill and down the wall and onto a freshly painted DR wall. Later replacement windows installed. Water that does not run out the holes can be pushed toward the holes with a floor squeegie or an angled broom.

• Pamelalounsbery Pamelalounsbery on Jun 19, 2017
    Lowes sells a cleaner you can out on your hose does great\