How do you clean the racks on an outdoor grill?

+2
  • 27524803 27524803 on Dec 01, 2017
    Since they are usually smaller than oven racks... put them in your sink or a large bin* and soak them in very hot water and dawn dish soap, use a stiff brush or steel wool and scrub them. I frequently soak mine, scrub them a bit and them (to take off the really flaky bits) and then run them in the dishwasher on the pots and pans setting, with a regular load of dishes.
    *I had a big bin made for hand mixing cement (building materials dept in a big box home improvement store) that I used to soak my oven racks, until I got my big farm house sink.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Dec 01, 2017
    You can take the racks out, place on newspaper and then spray with the "cold" application oven cleaner. Let sit for a while and then scrub with your bristle brush and rinse thoroughly making sure there are no bristles left on the racks.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 01, 2017
    Steel wool and scraping tool for outdoor grills, then soap and water

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 01, 2017
    Soak them with oven cleaner or Dawn dishwater, BUT be aware, children have been admitted to the ER with the bristles that come loose from the brush and end up in the food. They are so thin people miss them when cleaning or cooking. They can cause serious damage to a small child, so we got rid of our metallic brush for the grill. I use the oven cleaner and really, really rinse them well after and even wash with dishsoap to be sure all the cleaner is off then rinse, rinse, rinse.