How do i clean where water got into house?


We just survived hurricane Florence. How do I clean mold where water got into house? Thanks in advance.

  7 answers
  • Lynn Goins Lynn Goins on Sep 21, 2018

    It depends on what it is growing on. If it's sheet rock or wood, you can spray with bleach. Be careful near carpet. If it's on fabric or carpet, it depends on the extent of the mold. If it's just a small spot, try using lemon juice to clean the stain.

  • Mona Blake Mona Blake on Sep 21, 2018

    Vinegar will kill mold. Buy gallons of it.

  • Louise Louise on Sep 21, 2018

    hydrogen peroxide was my go to. it works. use dehumidfiers and fans to dry out the rooms

  • J J on Sep 22, 2018

    If your sheet rock got wet you will have to remove those parts then use fans to dry out the walls. After that bleach can be used on areas that won’t be ruined by bleach, if color change is a worry then use full strength vinegar. If you have anything that can be washed and dried, use the hottest setting possible adding bleach or vinegar as appropriate and then dry. I feel your pain!!!! Flooding is the worst part of any storm!!! Good luck to you!

  • Phillip R Guidry Phillip R Guidry on Sep 22, 2018

    True, Wash & clean what you can - remove all bad drywall first. Check out what some of us did in Louisiana - Chlorine Dioxide gas used to eradicate mold after the flooding caused by hurricane Katrina WATCH

    Also instead of bleach - use Hypochlorous acid to kill the Pathogenic Fungus, Molds, Mildews - You will have to scrub some areas with soap and water. You can get hypochlorous acid by mixing water and calcium hypochlorite. All you have to do is go to a place that sells swimming pool supplies ask for SHOCK - make sure it's at least 60% calcium hypochlorite. When handling it use rubber gloves in case you have sensitive skin. Use a min. of 1 oz. per 5 gals. water. Open all windows & doors and have some to monitor whomever is inside during cleaning. The Vapors can be strong to some people. This is just what I would do. I'm not telling anyone to do this.....Just Sayin! And good luck and GOD BLESS.

  • Dorothy S Dorothy S on Sep 24, 2018

    I got flooded out by Matthew. I had to remove the sheet rock where the water got between the wall of my den and garage. Placed a heater fan to dry it out and sprayed with Mold Control. I got it from Lowe's. I used it on my carpets to suck up all of the water and did not get any mold. I had to act fast before the mold set in so I am not sure if Mold Control will work for you since you already have mold. I will tell you that in my garage where the sheet rock got mold, I cleaned and then sprayed with Mold Control and it did not come back.