How to throw away clutter for trash, keep, maybe?

+2
  • Kokolaw Kokolaw on Jun 18, 2018
    ApartmentTherapy.com - The Ultimate Decluttering Guide: 130 Things to Get Rid of in the New Year

• Suzette Suzette on Jun 18, 2018
    Hi Joanne, I'm going through the same thing right now. It can seem overwhelming, but if you do one room at a time, it makes it less daunting. First I went through the room, anything I didn't want, and was in decent condition, I put on the curb with a free sign. Next, I have a trash bag/can in the room I'm working on and toss things that are broken, outdated, or that can't be recycled or I just won't use. Leave the things you will keep where they are and start a "maybe" pile. You'll find as you go along that it gets easier to let go of clutter! I have a big house and have gotten through 2 rooms already!

Good luck!

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 18, 2018
    As Suzette suggested, do it room by room with piles for give away or donate, trash, belongs in another room and stays in this room. Do one, maybe two a day if they aren't really big rooms. Don't burn yourself out. Don't deviate to another room until one is done. Anything that belongs in other rooms should be dealt with when the room you are working on is done, that is when you deal with your piles. Reward yourself when you are done with a room, a treat or something for a job well done. Take breaks, but always go back to it until the room is done. You will soon start seeing results and want to keep going with the rest of the house. Good luck! You can do this!

• Georgette Jensen Georgette Jensen on Jun 18, 2018
    If the clutter is saleable, take to cosignment or charity shop. Charity will usually give a receipt for tax purposes.