What are the best products & process to thoroughly clean wood?

+2
what are the best products & process to a.) remove critters out of raw freshly milled slab of wood & b.) to clean the wood before handling?

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 02, 2018
    By critters do you mean bugs/termites? If so, my dad used to carve wood and he put in large contractor bags and spray the heck out of it with insecticide and leave in closed bag for a week in the garage.

• Mogie Mogie on Jul 02, 2018
    The best way to kill insects and mold/fungus in wood, especially live edge slabs, where bugs love to live, is with heat. About 135° and it's ball game for them. Fast, simple and dependable. An insulated box with about 2,000 Watts of halogen lights will do it.

• Cj Sisco Cj Sisco on Jul 02, 2018
    Awesome thanks! I’ll have to try both although I hate using any kind of poisons. Where would one get insulated box? Or do I build one?

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Jul 02, 2018
    if, by 'critters' you mean beetles, termites, etc., from the wood I would use a good insecticide-- Bayer products are very reliable; and to 'clean' it --- I'm not sure what kind of 'DIRT' you are referring to -- a freshly milled piece should only have sawdust .... if it's laying on the ground and has absorbed stains from the soil -- like red clay or black pocosin, a good scrubbing with plenty of fresh water, DAWN and a good scrub brush!

• DD DD on Jul 02, 2018
    Since I have no personal experience I did a little research and found this Forum it you read past the first couple of comments I think you will find your answer
    Good luck with your project, be interested in knowing what direction you go in and if you were please with the results.