How to get rid of unpleasant odors like cigarette and musty smells?

+2
What are the best ways to get rid of unpleasant odors in a 55 year old home? cigarette smoke, musty smell

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jun 25, 2018
    Sometimes it seems impossible and it does take a lot of work. Everything has to be thoroughly washed down...even the ceiling has to be sealed with Kilz and repainted! The walls, floors, carpets, woodwork, kitchen cabinets...everything is coated in nicotine!

I don't know of a single spray that will remove the smell.

You may want to call in someone like Stanley Steamer to see if they do "reclaim' work. There are companies that come in after a fire to "clean up" and that may be your answer.

• Shay Johnson Shay Johnson on Jun 25, 2018
    Good day Patricia, I would have someone check for mold and mildew first. I might miss it living in the older house. I would remove the flooring if it were carpet. along with paint the walls. If that is not possible I would not know.

• Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Jun 25, 2018
    Wash everything you can down with vinegar water. Put your favorite herbs in a pot of water on the stove and keep it simmering at least 2 hours a day. You can use: whole cloves, orange rinds, lemon rinds, cinnamon sticks, lavender, essential oils, sage leaves, oregano leaves, vanilla bean, rosemary sprigs, fresh basil, bay leaves, ginger, molasses, peaches, brown sugar, coffee beans, or tea (bags or leaves). Whatever scents you like.

• One word: vinegar. Wash everything, including ceilings with good old vinegar. If you will be repainting, TSP will work well too. Activated charcoal, baking soda and fresh coffee grounds will help absorb odors too.