Clean vertical blinds?

+10

Just wondering if anyone knows how to easily clean vertical blinds! I'd prefer not to take them down , but thinking I might have too!! Thank you in Advance 🙂🙂

• Flipturn Flipturn on May 23, 2021

To thoroughly clean accumulated grease and dirt from both sides of the panels, they really need to be taken down and scrubbed in a bathtub or shower (getting into the shower yourself makes the task easier).

Most verticals easily snap out of, and back into the clips at the top.

• Janice Janice on May 23, 2021

Your vertical blinds can easily be cleaned while hanging. A bucket of hot soapy water and a cloth the size of a wahcloth will do the trick. Clean the very top of your area first, then turn your vertical blinds so you can see out of the window easily, and start at either side washing each vane from top to bottom with the very dampened cloth wrung out from the hot soapy water, insuring each side of the selected vane is clean. Might be good to have another dry cloth to dry each vane as you go. It's time consuming but so worth it when you see and know the blinds are clean.

Here's som info from a website:

https://www.blindsgalore.com/how-to-clean-vertical-blinds

• I've heard that you can use a dryer sheet or newspaper to clean them easily while hanging!

• Dee Dee on May 23, 2021

I have used a watered down cleaner degreaser or Dawn Platinum in a bucket of water. I put down a tarp so the floor would not get wet. I do one sleat at a time and have another bucket of clean water to rinse. No hard just tedious. I have also taken the slats off, but some of the tabs broke, so had to buy new ones. I understand why you do not want to take the slats off.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 23, 2021

Hello I wonder if a cleaning wet wipe might be an easy method to consider.

• Betsy Betsy on May 23, 2021

Hi Bec: Here's what I do:

I use warm water and some Dawn in a bucket and, if the blinds are greasy, I put in about 1/4 cup of vinegar too, and have a bucket of clean warm water along side. I put an old, thick, sock on my hand, put it in the soapy water, squeeze it out and do the top and bottom slat at the same time. Once they are all done, I get another old, thick sock and wipe them again with the clean water. You don't take the blinds down, leave them up and clean them where they are:) Easy as anything easy you can think of:) You can push your finger through the string part to get that clean. It only takes a flash, and you can look outside at the same time and watch the birds, hum some songs, or invent things with your time:)

Of course, you can always make your own from rolls of tp :) Just unroll the dirty parts and Bob's your uncle, you have clean 'slats' ! :)

Good luck

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on May 23, 2021

Would a Swiffer Duster help remove some of the dust? I would try the Dawn/vinegar and water method above, too,

• Maura White Maura White on May 25, 2021

Get one of these: https://amzn.to/3ywtI5j and stick all fingers inbetween the slats to dust it! I have one of these and LOVE it!

• Annie Annie on May 25, 2021

Are they fabric or plastic? Plastic ones do in place, Fabric ones I would take down and clean in bath tub then hang to dry

• If you have a steamer you can try that. If they are vinyl, I would then wipe them down, if they're fabric, then I would use the upholstery tool. You shouldn't have to take them down, actually I've found it easier to do when they're hanging.

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 01, 2021

Are they vinyl or fabric?