How do I clean oxidized windows??

+19

They are my living room windows and are so bad you can't see out of them very good.

q how do i clean oxidized windows
  • Mac6231 Mac6231 on Apr 26, 2019

Accidentally smash them and get your husband to buy new ones. Easier and cheaper in the long run and he will eventually forgive you. 😁

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Apr 26, 2019

Have you contacted the company that made the windows? They might be able to suggest something to use that won't negate the warranty.

• See 2 previous
    • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Apr 27, 2019

It looks like William gave you a good website to help. I wonder if painting the window frames (after you get them clean) will prevent that from happening again? Also, can you find the manufacturer, maybe they still make that size and have screen frames that you could buy?

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Apr 26, 2019

You can’t the moisture got inside the glass you need new window

• William William on Apr 26, 2019

Are they single pane or double pane?

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 27, 2019

Hi Maria,

Maybe this link can help you, it gives some explanation of the cause:

https://windowcleaner.com/community/t/what-do-you-use-to-get-oxidation-off-windows/6811/6

• Diane Coverdale Diane Coverdale on Apr 27, 2019

How old are these windows, do you still have the installation receipt as it appears that the window seals failed if they are double paned glass. If they are still under warranty, get them replaced.

• See 1 previous

Now, I'm not sure where you live (I'm in Canada), take a look along the inside edge of the window. You will be looking at the metallic band holdingcthe panes of glass together. On most brands of windows, there should be a name of the manufacturer, city and year of manufature visibly printed. If you can find it, you might be able to contact them for assistance.

• William William on Apr 27, 2019

It's caused by the aluminum frames. Screens will also do it. It's possible there were aluminum screens at one time. Give this a try.

https://mrhardware.com/articles-and-videos/cleaning-house-windows-with-oxidation-2/

• Huntress Huntress on Apr 27, 2019

To to mrhardware.com and look for cleaning windows with oxidation. They have a recipe and instructions for this. Uses TSP, vinegar and dish soap and all the instructions you need.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Apr 27, 2019

The oxidation is from the aluminum frames.....make not too thick paste out of baking soda & dawn dish soap use a green scrubber sponge slather paste onto windows dipping sponge in hot water and scrub them, frames and all then add a little vinegar spritzed on them it'll fizz alot, wipe/scrub again with sponge really well then rinse with hot water.You can use deck brush if you cannot use ladder to reach/ clean them.....here's way to clean glass after use straight rubbing /isopropyl alcohol and clean wash cloth( no fabric softener on it and no paper towels both cause streaking and smearing)--just pour alcohol on cloth and wipe glass,mirrors,auto glass;do inside one direction-horizontal and other side -vertically this way you can tell easier which is not clean

• Dealia15 Dealia15 on Apr 28, 2019

My windows got that way because of the sprinklers and we have hard water. Vinegar or cola works to take off in that case. Rinse after.

• Maria Maria on Apr 28, 2019

Mine too, and we have hard water also. I will try the vinegar for sure. Thank you!

• Kat Kat on Apr 28, 2019

There are 2 products that work wonders for scale. CLR (calcium, lime, rust) or Limeaway.

• Beck Beck on Apr 28, 2019

Try oven cleaner. It worked for me when nothing else would. WEAR GLOVES!

• Maria Maria on Apr 28, 2019

Thank you everyone for all your great ideas. I'm going to try them and see how it goes.

• Veselin Veselin on Apr 08, 2020

Hi Maria,

Did you manage to clear it?

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Aug 14, 2021

Hi Maria, we mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle, shake well and spray it onto the window. Wipe off with balls of newspaper for a streak-free clean-up.