How do I clean window blinds?

+9

Is there a way to clean wood window blinds without taking them down? I can clean the slats, it's the connecting cords that really need cleaning.

q how do i clean window blinds
  • Amanda Amanda on Dec 31, 2018

Hi Susan. I would first vacuum them using the dusting attachment. Then wipe each slat with a damp rag. It is a lot of work but works for me.

• Mary Anne Mary Anne on Jan 01, 2019

Susan, I've never tried this but try using a Clorox bleach pen. Lightly go over the cords, let it sit awhile and then wipe with wet cloth.

• Barb Barb on Jan 01, 2019

I take mine down and put in the bathtub with a light solution of vinegar and water. I take my broom and swish . It's better with 2 people but can be done by yourself.

• Marlene Marlene on Jan 01, 2019

Take them down, put into the bathtub. Add water and denture tablets. They will clean themselves.

• Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Jan 01, 2019

They are so easy to take down. Raise and lift off that front decoration piece which just sits on clips. Then flip side metal brackets open and pull out. You’re not removing and screws or hardware. Cords will need to soak. It’s one think to clean slats in place but cords? No.

• Lana Hassell Lana Hassell on Jan 03, 2019

Susan, did you ever get an answer? I don't think anyone read the problem very good. All they saw was "blinds" ; they never saw "wooden blinds" which you cannot soak. If you put pure bleach on the cords, it may eat a hole in them. It may be possible to make a solution of soap and a small amount of bleach and sponge that on the cords and then rinse them well. That might work.

• Cheng Koay Cheng Koay on Jan 03, 2019

Wooden blinds looks good but when comes to cleaning , care and time is for sure needed to keep the blinds in good condition.

All I did was wipe every slat including all attachments with a damp cloth with some dish washing liquid, twice yearly.

• Leanne Watts Leanne Watts on Mar 25, 2019

For my money and the labor... replace them with new ones! *LOL*