Tips for converting a shed into a studio?

+2
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a shed to convert into a studio. My question is dig dirt out fill with gravel or make a deck? It would be 8' x 16'...What is the best way to go...I would like pros and cons and cost...

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jun 16, 2018
    I think the best thing would be to remove the dirt and place small gravel there so that there is always good drainage and the floor will not rot.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 16, 2018
    The base that would need the least maintenance would be to have a level reinforced concrete pad poured. Then anchor the shed on to this concrete pad. What material is the shed made out of? What are your plans as far as electricity to the new studio? Check first with your county office as to what the local bylaws and building codes are re outbuildings on the property having electricity. Will you need a permit to erect the shed? You might also want to check with your home insurance carrier to see if your policy premiums might go up due to having a closed-in structure attached to a base.

• It depends on where you live and weather conditions. Think about rain, snow, etc. As with all structures, the ground should gently slope away from the shed to avoid water intrusion. The one we installed years ago, was exactly as you described, we dug out the area, filled with gravel set piers, then a deck on top of the piers then bolted the shed to the deck. Lasted good 25 + years until we dismantled it. Granted we are in southern CA where rain is an "event." Was built behind my parents garage and my brother turned it into a darkroom to develop his photos. He still uses a lot of the same equipment old school style today.

Cost depends on materials you choose. Other than the cost of the shed, gravel, piers, and wood decking supplies are relatively inexpensive. Certainly a cost effective way to obtain studio space. Just know it will be cold in winter, and potentially blazing hot in summer unless you opt for an insulated type model or add a heating or cooling source.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 16, 2018
    If you're shed has a wooden floor I would raise it above the ground. Moisture always seeps through from the ground no matter what you do, unless you throw a concrete slab first, which pushes up the price

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jun 16, 2018
    Some of the new sheds even have built in shelves and tables, and small heater/acs, too! But in my city, we have to head to the building codes, and the planning depts. offices to get the latest refs. Sheds must be on a concrete pad, so many feet from the property lines and the house, and meet many other details. If you have never dealt with this before, try to educate yourself about permit fees and a realistic timeline. If you hire a contractor, his/her knowledge of bureaucracy and reputation with same will make all the difference in your time and money. Don’t give up! ☺️