I set up my Valentines decorations and my mantle needed a little something more. I decided to make a little garland and it was so easy that I had to share!
Felt Heart Valentines Garland
Here is a picture of the garland.
Here are the supplies I used:
- two pieces of felt, one pink and one red (you can buy felt in 8 1/2 by 11 squares at any craft store for less than .50 cents)
- 10 red felt Pom poms and 10 white felt Pom poms (I ordered these from Amazon. They came in a package of multi colors and I have a ton left).
- black and white bakers twine
- a thick needle
The first thing I did was cut a square out of the red felt. This was about 2 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches.
I then folded the square in half and cut out a heart (just like how I used to make paper hearts in grade school).
Once I had a heart cut the way I liked it, I used it as stencil to cut out 4 more matching red hearts.
I then placed the red heart on the pink felt and cut out a pink share that was a little bigger than the original red square. I then cut out a pink heart the same way as the red one.
This shows how the hearts looked layered together.
Before I started to thread the Pom poms on to the bakers twine, I spaced the hearts and Pom poms out to see how they would look.
I then began to thread the bakers twine through the felt balls. One trick I have found with threading the felt balls is to cut the tips off of rubber kitchen gloves. This gives me a good grip on the needle so that I can pull it through the ball.
Once all the balls were strung, I spaced them to the spot I wanted leaving enough space for the hearts. I then placed the pink heart under the bakers twine and added a couple of dots of hot glue so that the twine and felt were touching.
I then placed the red heart onto the pink heart. I made sure to place the bakers twine toward the top of the heart so that the hearts wouldn’t twist upside down and would remain facing forward. I pressed these together until the hot glue stuck.
This shows the progress of the garland.
And here is a picture of the finished product.
And one more view! I love how it turned out!
- One square of pink felt (Any material or craft store)
- One square of red felt (Any material or craft store)
- 10 red felt balls (Amazon)
- 10 white felt balls (Amazon)
- 3 yards of black and white bakers twine (Any craft store)
- Large needle (Material store)