These cute containers are a PERFECT way to distribute candy on Halloween. With the price of candy skyrocketing, these cute containers keep portions reasonable. Plus they're quick, easy and FUN to make. You'll have a whole basket ready in no time!
Make Your Own Halloween Treat Bags - (aka "Sour Cream Containers")
With just a handful of supplies + candy, you'll be turning these quirky treat containers out in no time!
The supplies are few - this is an inexpensive project. If you're a paper crafter, you probably already have a crimper, paper and double-sided tape on hand. If not, you can expect to spend around $25 for everything.
This is the perfect time to bust out those Halloween papers that are sitting in the back of your stash. And about that double-sided tape: I used a cheaper version on the first couple of containers, and it didn't hold well. Scor-Tape is the strongest tape and will hold until the kiddos (or you) open them up.
- Cut a piece of paper into 5 1/2" x 4 1/4".
- Apply Scor-Tape along the short end of the backside of the paper
- Apply another strip halfway down one of the long sides.
- Apply another strip, half of the length (2 3/4") in the middle of the other long side.
- Remove the backing from the Scor-Tape on the longest piece but leave the backing on the two shorter pieces.
- Roll the paper and adhere the short ends to form a cylinder. It takes a little practice, but hang in there.
- Remove the backing from one of the short pieces of tape and press the two sides together.
- Reinforce this end by putting it through the crimper and turning the handle a bit. 2 or 3 crimped lines will seal it properly.
- Fill with candy. Remove the backing from the remaining piece of tape and press those sides together in the OPPOSITE direction from the other end. This is what gives these little boxes their sour cream container shape.
Decorate as desired. I used narrow ribbon tied around the tops, and I added punched out shapes to the fronts.
Each treat holder can hold 2-4 pieces of candy, depending on their size.
Voila, a cute paper "sour cream" Halloween treat bag. This is a great craft to do with older children.
Enjoy these containers, and save money at the same time. Try making them for Christmas or Easter using appropriate themed papers!
Here are a couple more Halloween projects you might like to try!