How do I get my dog to stop peeing on the rug?

+3
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Dec 06, 2017
    I got so frustrated with one dog, I diapered him in a plastic bag. He stopped marking his inside territory after he peed on himself a couple times.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 06, 2017
    Clean up the spots the dog uses really well. Wet the areas with vinegar making sure it is enough to saturate all the way through. When it dries and you don't smell vinegar anymore, do the sniff test and if you still smell some repeat. The most important part is to get rid of all the odor. As long as the dog can smell it he/she will go back to those spots. Put down the doggy pads and gradually take them to the door or wherever would be a better spot to use. If you have to, make an ok spot for the dog and keep doggy pee pads there for accidents. I hope this helps you!

• Gary Opas Gary Opas on Dec 06, 2017
    Crate train him for housebreaking. Purchase a Pet Urine Stain & Odor Enzymatic cleaner and apply it, per instructions, to the affected area of rug.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 06, 2017
    First have the pup checked out at the vet to make sure there's no urinary tract problems.
    1. Does the dog pee when you're gone? It may be fear or the dog needs to be kennel trained. Or it may be you're gone too many hours.
    2. Does the dog pee when you're home and the dog appears afraid? You will need to address the fears.
    3. Does the dog mark? He needs to be neutered unless the dog is a stud dog. You will a professional to assist in this training.
    You can clean up all you want, but the dog will still be able to smell the spot. If it's just habit, you need to retrain yourself and the dog. Taking him out on a regular basis, walks and playtime. Dogs are like having a 2 year old in the house that never grows up. But they love you lots!

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Dec 06, 2017
    How old the dog and has the dog ever been potty trained? Does the dog have access to outside? If not, your going to need to take your dog outside every hour and stay outside with your dog till the dog goes potty! Your going to need to do this every hours for many days if not longer till the dog knows the routine well to go outside. Then keep a eye on your dog when he’s in the house and watch for signs that the dog may need to go potty! This is a process you both have to learn! He learns to go potty outside and you learn what hints the dog gives to go potty outside? Eventually hopefully your dog will whine or bark at the door when it needs to go potty. But it can take time to learn!
    Far as the rug goes, you may want to have it cleaned and put away for a while to not tempt your dog while the dog learns it’s proper place to go potty! Need lots of patience and lots of time to work with your dog. Some learn quicker then others! If your dog had other owners, previous owners may of gave the dog potty pads too? If so, it’s going to take time and work retraining your dog not to potty inside any more! I know people use those pads when their at work and can’t let their dog out. But it’s teaching your dog it’s ok to potty inside! I hate those pads for that reason

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Dec 06, 2017
    You have to completely remove the urine from the carpet. I had that problem and had to wash it with a lot of soap and hot water. I had another rug that I couldn't wash. I used stain and urine removers and eventually had to throw it away because the smell was imbedded in it. There are a lot of products that are sold to remove pee stains and you can try washing with a steamer also.