How to catch a running chicken?

+7
I have 5 young roosters that won't use the hen house. They choose instead to roost high in a pine tree near my bedroom window. You guessed right they start crowing at 4 am. I tried to catch them when they were sleeping. No Luck. They just climb up the tree higher where I can't reach them. Trying to catch them when they come down for food does not work either. I can't get close enough with the net before they all take off running. I need to re home these roosters ASAP! They are driving me crazy! So my question is how do I catch a running chicken? Any farmers out there with advice. Thank you. Linda B. ( runs with chickens )

• We used a chicken hook. Try a feed store. It's a very long thick wire with a hook at the end that you grab their leg with

• Bill Bill on Dec 22, 2017
    My mother clipped the chicken/roosters wing feathers on both sides. they could not fly over the fence around the chicken coop. Be careful and do not cut the fleshy part of the wings.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 22, 2017
    Dear Runs with Chickens, when you feed the chickens, don't put out food for the roosters. They'll come down after a day or two looking for food. Put out a small amount of feed, then use a chicken hook.

• Melva Letterman Melva Letterman on Dec 22, 2017
    When on the roost at night, get under them & put a stick up to the roost & punch on their chest. They will step off onto your stick. As you lower it have a bag ready to stick them inside of it. Also use a flashlight in their eyes to blind them as u get close to them at night. It will take two people to catch.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 22, 2017
    Dear Runs, Isn't there supposed to be only one rooster to be king of the barn yard? lol No, really, you need a chicken hook. Check out your local feed store or maybe online. Get some sleep, Runs, you're going to need it.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 22, 2017
    The joys of chicken ownership.... and I would never own more than one rooster.

• Linda B. Linda B. on Dec 22, 2017
    I'd go with solar power. They run on a battery. Find them under farm or nursery supply. There is a few models to choose from that are not to costly. Linda B.

• We had 300 chickens when I was little. I remember Mom using it, I thought it was so fun to watch! Lol when we cleaned out the farm a few years ago, i kept the 2 i found. Ah, the memories....

• We had 300 chickens when I was little. Mom used to use "the hook" to chase one down and catch it when needed. I thought it was funny! LOL She didn't.... When we cleaned out the farm a few years back I kept both I found..ah the memories....